PDA

View Full Version : My first NAS experiment

Mithan
11-26-2012, 04:20 PM
I ordered a Shuttle Omnimas KD20.

It arrived, I put it together (very easy, even some of you could do it) and it worked great for about 1 hour until it basically died.

What did I get out of it before it went tits up? Well, copying a movie into the itunes folder and then streaming it onto my ipad was cool.

My xbox, ps3 and the RasPii and TV all saw it fine.

I contacted NCIX today and am having them RMA it. I ordered the following from them:
Synology DS212J (http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS212j)

Hopefully it works.

Steelwind
11-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Going to go big drives mirrored or going to use both for space and risk it?

Mithan
11-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Mirrored. I ordered 2 3TB WD Red Drives.

I want to put on some of my movies, about 40gb of pictures, 5gb of music and then backups of my data.

The really important stuff I will probably back up to older 160gb and 320gb USB drives, but I think this will be perfect. It also does Printer Server, so having my printer in it and bypassing my own PC means I can print from anything, instead of running down to the PC to turn my computer on, then printing to it.

If the hardware is solid, it should run for 5+ years without any issues I hope.

Steelwind
11-26-2012, 04:53 PM
My QNap has been running for about 5 years now. I am due to get new drives for it though and am thinking of upgrading at the same time. Might build something myself this go round just for giggles.

Tai
11-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Been using a pair of 1TB drives in my NAS for about 5 or 6 years and it is definately time to move to bigger drives. I was getting ready to order a few from Newegg this weekend when they sold out before I could finish the transaction :(

Mithan
11-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Been using a pair of 1TB drives in my NAS for about 5 or 6 years and it is definately time to move to bigger drives. I was getting ready to order a few from Newegg this weekend when they sold out before I could finish the transaction :(

Try NCIX, they ship to the US too.

Sprawl
11-26-2012, 08:40 PM

Hehe, I admit it, I use RAID mirror as a backup method for my media (well except pictures that can never be replaced). :p

Steelwind
11-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Well there is a difference between backup and failure recovery. My QNAP is RAID 5 and I back it up to an external drive (the stuff I care about anyway). Even if you backup though you have ton consider how long you want to be down in the event of a hardware failure. I had a drive go and I never even noticed it performance-wise. Woke up to beeping one morning, ordered a new drive, swapped it with the old one and it synced back up over a part of a day then it was back to business as usual. That whole time I was never down and there was no significant performance hit.

the_great_intex
11-26-2012, 10:52 PM
I use my ASUS router loaded up with tomato as my personal NAS, also doubles as a print server

Steelwind
11-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Yeah going to wire my backup to one of the routers I am rebuilding eventually. I want a stand alone though for my main one I think so I can beef it up and have it handle more shit.

Palvati
11-27-2012, 12:52 AM

There is something about 3TB HD that I can't trust yet.. I forgot exact technical reason, but I read some baaad things about them

Tai
11-27-2012, 01:32 AM

There is something about 3TB HD that I can't trust yet.. I forgot exact technical reason, but I read some baaad things about them

Probably talking about this (http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything_you_need_to_know_about_3TB_hard_drives. html). Just move up to Win 7 64 bit (or Win 8 64) and problem solved.

Palvati
11-27-2012, 01:36 AM

Probably talking about this (http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything_you_need_to_know_about_3TB_hard_drives. html). Just move up to Win 7 64 bit (or Win 8 64) and problem solved.
What if I'm not using windows based OS?

Tai
11-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Macs and 64 bit Linux works fine and most 32 bit Linux as well.