Thread: Wizardry 8 movement problems

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Wizardry 8 movement problems

Yes, so I seem to have a hard time moving around. Up/Down arrow keys don't seem to work (they did for a brief period when I switched from DirectX 7 to DirectX 6. And I was gleefully happy that I could make the game work properly. It didn't last, though. I read that you could move by pressing both mouse buttons but that didn't work either.

I have Vsync off, as usual.

I've also read that alt-tabbing (I do that a lot sometimes) can make the keyboard unresponsive too but that can be fixed by pressing alt or ctrl + alt.

I can look around with left/right arrow keys and the right mouse button just fine, though. Note that it's only movement that's problematic.

I've experimented by trying to run the game with only one core, though that didn't work as the sound got messed up when I was alt-tabbing back into the game. 4 cores worked fine, though, but didn't help with the movement issues.

I tried changing to compatability mode (XP) aswell but not even that helped.

I play on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition and it's the gog version.

My specs:

Intel Core i7 2600k
    8gb RAM
    Asus DCII GeForce GTX 780

So, uh...help?

And another thing, installing mods to the game. I looked around and saw that Flamestryke's mod seems to be good for first-time players. The only problem is that it doesn't come with any installation instructions. Just an exe file. I don't know if I should just install it in the Wizardry 8 folder or somewhere else and just copy respective content into the game's folder. I also don't know if it covers everything in the game (as in all monsters, spells, etc.) which would require me to delete the already installed folders.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good morning!

I don't have all the answers, but I can confirm that if you tab out of Wiz8, you FREQUENTLY lose your keyboard...until you exit and restart the game. Wiz8 is one of a number of games that REALLY do not like to lose focus, or they get cranky. I don't know why your mouse isn't working, but I know that many times (after I've had to tab out and lost the keyboard) I was in a bind because, since I had no keyboard (for the moment) I couldn't save into an new game slot.

Wiz8 mods (usually) just supplement or replace game data files. In order to work, they need to be put into the right place(s), and overwrite previous files (if necessary). The EXE may presume that Wiz8 is installed in a particular location, and copy the files there...which won't work if Wiz8 is actually installed somewhere else. If that happens, you can probably just move the files to the right place and get it going. Always backup first though, or be prepared to re-download if you make a mess (which is simple enough with GOG).

Good luck!

Rochndil, who has nearly completed a run through Flame's mod...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rochndil View Post
    Good morning!

I don't have all the answers, but I can confirm that if you tab out of Wiz8, you FREQUENTLY lose your keyboard...until you exit and restart the game. Wiz8 is one of a number of games that REALLY do not like to lose focus, or they get cranky. I don't know why your mouse isn't working, but I know that many times (after I've had to tab out and lost the keyboard) I was in a bind because, since I had no keyboard (for the moment) I couldn't save into an new game slot.

Wiz8 mods (usually) just supplement or replace game data files. In order to work, they need to be put into the right place(s), and overwrite previous files (if necessary). The EXE may presume that Wiz8 is installed in a particular location, and copy the files there...which won't work if Wiz8 is actually installed somewhere else. If that happens, you can probably just move the files to the right place and get it going. Always backup first though, or be prepared to re-download if you make a mess (which is simple enough with GOG).

Good luck!

Rochndil, who has nearly completed a run through Flame's mod...
    Actually, it's just the up/down keys I have problems with. Everything else seems to work fine, even if I alt-tab.

Also, since there's a "MONSTERS" folder in that mod installation aswell, should that one replace the existing one? Because it's nowhere near as big as the original one. How did you install Flamestryke's mod, anyway? I've also read about that Wizardry 8 Editor (name escapes me atm).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird. When I lose the keyboard, it's completely gone. I'm pretty sure that you just drop all of Flame's mod files over the existing directories, and the files will either add or overwrite as appropriate. Just make sure you have a backup in case it goes sideways.

The Cosmic Forge is probably what you're thinking about. Look at the top of the forum.

Rochndil,who has found the CF very useful...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that if you ALT-TAB out and then back, the keyboard doesn't work until I hit ALT 3 times. Then it works right.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi RF,
    I think my System is very simmilar to yours (but I have no problems). Every time I Alt-Tab, upon going back to the game I have to press alt 1 time and everything works as it should. I have Changed walking to wasd keys and turning to q and e (dont know why that would make a difference tough)

On my first complete playtrough I played vanilla. Currently I have installed White Wolfs Mod (this seems to me the most updated Mod, and Frostguard is active in this forum).
    I also reccomend the Wizfast MOD (Exe file in Wiz8 Folder which allowes you to increase the movement speed of Monsters further; otherwise the 20 wasps you will eventually face move and think about moving forever) and the Animation time reduction MOd from here http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/37490...dry-8/66271587.
    I hope you are enjoiing this awesome game as much as I do!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rochndil View Post
    I can confirm that if you tab out of Wiz8, you FREQUENTLY lose your keyboard...until you exit and restart the game.
    Press ALT+RETURN. That's the common "windowed mode" combo. Works fine to give back the keyboard.