Thread: Portrait editor and mod question

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Portrait editor and mod question

Well, first off, the portrait editor. I'm an artist and would like to use my own character arts for portraits. However I run into this issue

The files must be saved as TGA files. Some of them are 8 bit files. TGA cannot be converted to 8 bit. wot..?

the next question is which mod is probably the most fun and enjoyable? I forget which mods I've done, but I remember doing one where the lightbringer was a sword option.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyran View Post
    the next question is which mod is probably the most fun and enjoyable? I forget which mods I've done, but I remember doing one where the lightbringer was a sword option.
    It depends on what you want... but if you want a different experience, the best mods should be Qusari's Lunastralis an Reforged. White Wolf's mod has much new stuff, too.
    Not Aelfinn or Eelfinn, but Realfinn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyran View Post
    Well, first off, the portrait editor. I'm an artist and would like to use my own character arts for portraits. However I run into this issue

The files must be saved as TGA files. Some of them are 8 bit files. TGA cannot be converted to 8 bit. wot..?

I presume you want to create new portraits with Wiz8PortEdit.exe?
    While i dont know how to solve the issue with that program, which creates a patch,
    i know how to create small, medium and large portraits the "real" way:

dld slfExplorer, sti editor and get a hex editor of your choice, any should do, i use HxD
    Extract slfexplore and stieditor to disk, run slfexplore and open Wiz8Installdir\Data\data.slf.
    Navigate to portraits folder in left window of slfExplore and extract the folder to disk,
    look at the naming system, lxxxx.sti for large, mxxxx.sti for medium and sxxxx.sti for small portraits.
    Run stiEditor and open any of the medium (multi frame!) portraits and see how they work,
    create the frames for your medium portrait accordingly as 16bit R5G5B5 bitmaps,
    import the bitmaps with stiEditor as well as their (common!) palette,
    save e.g. as melfff.sti in the appropriate folder structure of your game install.
    That way it will automatically replace the original medium portrait from data.slf.

Create small and large single frame portraits also as 16 bit R5G5B5 bitmaps, same palette is not required!
    Iirc they either need to be mirrored up/down or rotated 180deg, check it out later in game.
    Open any of the files from the games large portraits folder (e.g. lelfff.sti) with hex editor and copy the first 64 (40h) bytes.
    Open your large portrait 16bit R5G5B5 bitmap with hex editor, mark the first 70 (46h) bytes,
    paste the 64 bytes from the original sti portrait, save the bitmap as .sti (e.g. lelfff.sti) to the appropriate path (here W8InstallDir\Data\Portraits\Large)

For the small portraits, always use selfff.sti as header source, because the other files are compressd which adds unecessary complication.
    Replace the first 70 bytes of your small portrait with the 64 byte header of selfff.sti like you did for the large one and save as .sti to ...\Portraits\Small.

You may also want to read the section "How to create new large and small portraits" inthis message,
    incl http://ja2v113.pbworks.com/w/page/42...at-description

In case it does not work the size of your self made .sti files may differ from the size of selfff.sti or any large/medium portrait,
    if so try to create the bitmaps with the gimp, else ask again for more help/details.