User Tag List

Thread: Wizardry 8 - Mod to Remove Enemy Scaling?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wizardry 8 - Mod to Remove Enemy Scaling?

I've been playing Wizardry 8 on and off for years, and am prepping for another playthrough, but like many others, the enemy scaling (including the "scaling" both of enemy types and numbers of mobs at higher levels... I'm looking at you, Arnika road) is my only major complaint with the game. A quick internet search found where Dodd the Slayer initially seemed to disagree with this being an issue back in 2007 on the Codex (http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...s.21517/page-2), but later came to his senses and noted in 2013 on the GOG forums (http://www.gog.com/forum/wizardry_se..._ruin_the_game) - posting as "Lexigon5" - that he was planning a mod that "removes" level scaling, "the most complained about aspect of Wizardry 8."

So long story short, I've started to dig through descriptions of Dodd's mod here, but would appreciate it if someone could point me to a mod (if any exists - and of course if Dodd himself is still around, his input would be great) that removes enemy scaling, while making essentially no other changes to the game. If Dodd or others are no longer working on such a mod, any tips on how I could do something similar myself by using the Cosmic Forge editor would still be helpful, though I doubt I have the skills and patience to do the job properly myself.

I'm looking forward to any tips/suggestions - cheers!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That`s really cool. I would also love more info about this mod, myself. Enemy scaling is a real pain in Wizardry 8 and I think the game would be much more enjoyable without it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such a mod would be easy to make - simply remove unwanted monsters from the monster generator groups. But thats where the problem comes, as Wizardry 8 is an open world game. Limiting enemies to certain level (even more than they are) would remove this aspect from the game. And what is the expected party level on each map? That depends heavily on the completed quests and the party size as well.
    Wizardry 8 has only limited enemy scaling anyway. And you said it, the only really problematic map is Arnika road with a fresh, underequipped party. Simply wait with leveling beyond level 5 until Arnika and everything will be fine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

level scaling in this game is basically mandatory, when you take into account that you can start the game in the umpani zone or the trang zone via an import. arnika road is horribly balanced but that's really the main flaw with the scaling. a mod that just makes arnika road not have scaling would probably be easier to do and most effective.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I did start working on such a mod, but the task is so huge with all I want to do that other things in my life take priority.
    I identified a few factors involved in achieving this.

1: You must remove most mongens except the Rapax areas and make spawning event driven. The Rapax areas will spawn at the near the highest levels always though, and will be ranked according to which part of the castle you are in. This is because they are supposed to be the toughest race in the game, and aligned with the dark savant. If they are destroyed then it makes no sense for them to spawn thorough the tower in Arnika later in the game.
    In this way a high level spawn in Arnika, mid to late game makes sense.
    You can have a temporary mongen for a particular troublesome monster that can be turned off by lua scripting once the "queen of the hive" is destroyed.
    This would mean being able to keep some spawns by not killing the leader unless killing the leader is part of a quest, but they will not level to scale. It will be the same enemy.

2: Your mod must be to some degree like deathstalker mod where you have many placed enemies of varying difficulty as later areas in the game are first accessed.
    The Idea is that there are areas you can choose to avoid early to mid game because you know you will get your butt handed to you by the non spawning enemies that have been placed.
    In this respect the game plays like Might and Magic series, where you go to a new area and get the easy kills but avoid other areas until later.
    You must create many new areas to be wandered into where some battles are doable and others you must come back later, with high rewards so that players can use their ingenuity to get early advantage from battles they should not be able to win.

3: With no spawning you must multiply the exp you get from battles by roughly a factor of 10. This means early fast early levelling, so you must find a way to make enemies tougher at later levels, which is complicated but I know how to do this.
    A player will encounter near death battles at any point of the game, and never be invincible, but there will still be easier battles around.

4: with no spawning there comes a point where there is nothing to fight in order to keep progressing. This is where event driven spawns come into the game where there is an actual reason for higher level monsters to appear.

5: You have to do a lot of in game testing to see roughly what level a 6 man party would be upon breaking each new region.
    You cannot have weak areas in the game like rapax or Rynjin who just are not strong enough by the time you get to those areas.
    This means that imported games cannot be start in Umpani base or T'rang area, since this would mean leaving those areas easy and kill the game for later.
    Import game would start in a closed off area where a Trang or umpani would point you to a portal to Arnika training camp where you must get trained up before returning due to "recent developments on Dominus".

6: There should be at least one random encounter in each area where the player does not know where and what is going to attack.
    It should be created according to how tough that area is when entered.
    This would be a one off event for each area.

These are my ideas for how to achieve a non spawning game. Ask any questions on anything I said that is not understood.