Thread: Wizardry 8 in windowed mode?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wizardry 8 in windowed mode?

Can somebody tell me how to get W8 to run in windowed mode? I tried DxWnD but couldn't make it work (Win7 here). Then again I just tried the recommended settings and went on to mess around a bit w/o really knowing what I am doing...

Any ideas?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The executeable can be called with parameter [/window], you can find it at offset 1FF4E4h in the v124 exe and its derivates

Create a shortcut to wiz8_v1261_nocd.exe or whatever less recommendable executeable you use to run the game.
    Go to the shortcuts properties and select to edit the target line, add [ /window] at the end.
    I.e. change [\yourWiz8Installdir\wiz8_v1261_nocd.exe] to [\yourWiz8Installdir\wiz8_v1261_nocd.exe /window]

Note that i would not suggest it if i would suspect any issues,
    but since i only checked it for some hours, not a whole game,
    i dont know if this will cause any issues in the program itself or on your hardware,
    so in case you will do this on your risk!

Regarding your four horsemen run through vanilla on the gog board, i did similar in vanilla and some mods,
    its rather easy in vanilla even when played on IM if you know the game mechanics and content well,
    also as a solo because you dont get quest xp anyway and all combat xppts go to one PC.
    It becomes MUCH harder even for a full imported party if you try that in one of the high difficulty rated mods.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks townitu! That worked like clockwork. I went through a bunch of half-random attempts and now finally I can play W8 in a window - thank you so much!

As to the 4 Horsemen: I had the impression that gog has a selected few very active members. Those do not appear to only look for the hardest setting possible but seem to prefer a fun challenge to enjoy yet another go at W8. Thus I shared what I thought might fit. Somehow I never shared my enthusiasm for W8 with likeminded people at all. Nice to know there are quite some people out there to share it with

By now I started my Four Horsemen with three characters (the White Horse being the Savant) and immediately noticed it may not be as hard as I thought. Three characters muster up a power I didn't play with for a while. Probably I shouldn't have brought a max power party ^^
    Burz seemed tough though with his 300 HP. I figured out how to deal with his summons but he still packed a punch against my level 6 chars. Then again my Ninja crit'ed him so that was sudden death after all. I'll check out Arnika and see whether I keep going. Truth be told: it's a selected few of my games that actually make it to the end.

The idea came up because solos tend to dodge a lot of fights and I thought I'd enjoy killing stuff from the start instead of circumventing it. As a solo it ought to be tough. Especially with a character that isn't strong early. My solo mage (no class changes, no RPCs) can hardly kill everything as is - not even after picking up the majority of his endgame items. He doesn't need shops too much but he does need to select his fights carefully. Did you brazenly solo kill everything you met or just the NPCs? Now you mentioned it I'll have to check it out I guess.

Regarding the mods: I haven't played any so far. Dodd's mod is highly recommended I hear. If memory serves I read somewhere that Dodd's mod requires picking up a Lady Lord at some point. Is that correct? Although I am right in the middle of something I'll need new stuff after the solo mage I reckon
    Could you recommend a specific difficult mod?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by townltu View Post
    The executeable can be called with parameter [/window], you can find it at offset 1FF4E4h in the v124 exe and its derivates

Create a shortcut to wiz8_v1261_nocd.exe or whatever less recommendable executeable you use to run the game.
    Go to the shortcuts properties and select to edit the target line, add [ /window] at the end.
    I.e. change [\yourWiz8Installdir\wiz8_v1261_nocd.exe] to [\yourWiz8Installdir\wiz8_v1261_nocd.exe /window]

Note that i would not suggest it if i would suspect any issues,
    but since i only checked it for some hours, not a whole game,
    i dont know if this will cause any issues in the program itself or on your hardware,
    so in case you will do this on your risk!

Regarding your four horsemen run through vanilla on the gog board, i did similar in vanilla and some mods,
    its rather easy in vanilla even when played on IM if you know the game mechanics and content well,
    also as a solo because you dont get quest xp anyway and all combat xppts go to one PC.
    It becomes MUCH harder even for a full imported party if you try that in one of the high difficulty rated mods.
    I've only got "Wiz8_v124_nocd.exe" which is what the readme for wizardry reforged says to use, where did you find "wiz8_v1261_nocd.exe" and what makes its better?
    Also how would this work when using the injector? and playing reforged?

if this is my current .bat reforged injector launch file:
    echo off
    cls
    CFInjector.exe "E:\Wizardry 8 Reforged 1.1\Wiz8_v124_nocd.exe" "E:\Wizardry 8 Reforged 1.1\Wiz8_v124_nocd.exe"
    pause

would I change it to:

echo off
    cls
    CFInjector.exe "E:\Wizardry 8 Reforged 1.1\Wiz8_v124_nocd.exe /window" "E:\Wizardry 8 Reforged 1.1\Wiz8_v124_nocd.exe /window"
    pause