Thread: New original areas for Wizardry 8

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New original areas for Wizardry 8

I have finally finished a meaningful chunk of new environment for Wiz8, and I'd like to share my results in the hopes of someone joining to fill the areas with life and gameplay. My strength is creating the environments (I think), other Wiz8 modders are just light years ahead of me in other departments. I'll start working on another location in the meantime, and see if anyone is interested. I have some ideas and plot hooks of my own as well.

Here are the areas for download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/oh...s-RawLevels.7z

Please let me know if you fall through terrain or get stuck somewhere. I had a freak fall-to-mage's-death-from-10-cm accident between the two stalagmites in front of the foundry, but failed to reproduce it in dozens of attempts since then. I'm totally keeping that place as it is.

To enter, just start a new game, turn around and walk into the waterfall. A lizardman warrior as the sole member recommended, there is a lot of walking, as opposed to my two previous maps.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried them, nothing happened, I could not walk into the waterfall.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's because I forgot to include the modified monastery area. Sorry about that. Fixed here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/14...s-RawLevels.7z

And here is the monastery map alone, so you don't have to download the whole thing again:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/58...8/monastery.7z

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't explore all of it, but it is HUGE. I did get stuck once. I went to the left and then turned left again at the red hallway and went down the ramps. I took the long elevator ride to the bottom.
    On the left wall there is some kind of thing that looks like it might be a open elevator, but after entering the lip was too high to exit.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That thing is indeed an elevator, and the button does work, it just takes ages for the platform to get down. You are right, when the lift is up you can fall into its pit with no way back. I'll be just taking notes on bugs for now, unless something really severe arises.

Currently I'm modeling the mountain's exterior. An additional flooded underground level is planned as well. I won't be mixing my areas with vanilla ones any more, I'll just expand the playable area to the west and put all my locations around there. All the mountains within the current world map are pretty crammed already.
    Eventually I'd also like to make it possible to visit the Blackship before taking it down, maybe in order to disable its shields or something like that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I hope somebody will join you and we'll have some cool mod for W8 with a plot and everything!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the very bottom, where the elevators let you out, to the left there is a path that leads under water. If you go forward you fall off the edge of the map.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noted the same. I cannot mod but I surely can play, if somebody else prepares this mod.
    Not Aelfinn or Eelfinn, but Realfinn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would be happy to assist. Please explain which game file I am supposed to extract the new areas into.
    thanks for your time and effort.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mauddibatreides View Post
    would be happy to assist. Please explain which game file I am supposed to extract the new areas into.
    thanks for your time and effort.
    Into the levels folder. I moved the original Monastery folder out first.
    Not Aelfinn or Eelfinn, but Realfinn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

several of the rooms do not have solid walls. Some mine equipment is not solid. After taking the big elevator (E1) down I was unable to return back up. I located a second big elevator (E2) and that one did not work either. Then much later after exploring (what I believe to be all that I could) I found both elevators now worked. E1 returned me back to the area where not all the rooms walls were solid. E2 crashed the game when it reached the top of it's accent.

Returning back to the area E1 returned me to. when I reached the transition area to return back to the starting area the game crashed again.

I started a new game and found that when I attempted to enter the water fall the game crashed.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reports, guys, I'm taking notes.
    The crashing is weird. What about performance? The city area is quite polygon heavy, so I could see a reason there. What are you running the game on?
    Still wouldn't explain why it worked at first. I don't understand this.

Just for reference, on my 3.7 GHz i3 with a crappy Radeon 4540 (barely better than the integrated GPU) it takes about a second to load all the geometry, but after that it runs smooth.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I installed your new areas over your MOD vs using a clean install game. I could not find my game disk but i knew I could start a game using the cfagent. would that be the cause of the crash?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far I have tested the areas only in vanilla game. I'm going to incorporate them into my mod later, when its final "no new areas" version is out.
    But I can't think of anything that should cause crashes. If anything I would expect problems the other way around since CFAgent lifts some engine limitations.

What are your computer specs and operating system? I have heard of a myriad of issues with older (and even not that old) games on Windows 8 and 10.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

y Precious from Digital Storm:
    Cooler Master 942 HAF X
    Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz Overclock 4.3GHz
    Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU cooler
    ASUS Sabertooth X79
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz
    1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX
    240GB Solid State Corsair: Neutron GTX Series
    1TB Western Digital Caviar (Black Edition)
    2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 4GB

Using Windows 7 64-bit.

New install of vanilla game, patched with the latest patch( 1.2.4)

No performance issues at all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaucukovnik View Post
    So far I have tested the areas only in vanilla game. I'm going to incorporate them into my mod later, when its final "no new areas" version is out.
    But I can't think of anything that should cause crashes. If anything I would expect problems the other way around since CFAgent lifts some engine limitations.

What are your computer specs and operating system? I have heard of a myriad of issues with older (and even not that old) games on Windows 8 and 10.
    Magically the game has started working again. I restarted with a new party. Is there anyway I can send you a screen shot of the Map. I have added my comments to the map. I think it would make it easier for you to see exactly where/what I am referring too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, I got mine to work fine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad it works, still don't have a clue what was the crashing about.
    I use mediafire.com for uploading images and also for bigger files. I'm a free user and they have always been good, never deleting my old files etc. Their web interface is more sluggish than it used to be, but whose isn't?

The next, exterior area will be even bigger than the last one. It will contain oversized ruins, sort of explaining the presence of giant humanoid skeletons on Dominus.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great! here are three save games with notes in the maps. Let me know if I failed to explore all the areas as I was having trouble with the game crashing. I am using the same computer that I have played your MOD, Dodds, white wolf.... Hope my map notes are helpful. Thanks for keeping wiz8 alive.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4n..._new_areas.SAV
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/c6...ea_2_level.SAV
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/5w...new_area_1.SAV

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to drop by and thank you for your effort. Haven't been able to do a walkthrough yet but I plan to do so on the following weeks hopefully.

Keep up the great work. I guess I speak for every wizardry 8 fan if I tell you that every addition to this awesome game is heartily welcomed.

Cheers

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Wiz8 Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Kaucukovnik View Post
    Glad it works, still don't have a clue what was the crashing about.
    I use mediafire.com for uploading images and also for bigger files. I'm a free user and they have always been good, never deleting my old files etc. Their web interface is more sluggish than it used to be, but whose isn't?

The next, exterior area will be even bigger than the last one. It will contain oversized ruins, sort of explaining the presence of giant humanoid skeletons on Dominus.

When, or if, will you continue your work? The mod layout showed promise. Thanks...........................