Thread: Gadget component

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gadget component

I have been playing this one party on and off again for a number of years. I recently noticed that I don't have the x-ray component with my extra items. I know where it is located in the game and have obtained it with past parties. I conclude there are three possibilities.

1) It was stashed or stored somewhere else. This is unlikely since the component is light and I generally store extra items in the chests in He'li's. I have been walking around Dominus looking for it, but have not found it yet.

2) I accidentally sold it to a vendor that buys gadget components. I checked with all the vendors at this point, except Ferro, but since Antone doesn't buy them, I am thinking Ferro probably doesn't. Besides I do not visit Ferro much, because I have to be concerned about his fellow Rapax attacking him. For all the vendors that buy the gadget components, I went through the process of clearing the oversupplies of particular items to see the bottom of their inventories and the x-ray chip is not present. I don't know if such a component would eventually disappear from the vendors inventory entirely.

3) There is a glitch in the game that caused the item to disappear by falling through the world or merging with another gadget component. I have not heard of either type of glitch happening in the game and think this is the most unlikely cause.

Is there a way to examine my save data to see if the item is present and if so the location? Is there anyway of recovering the component through the use of an editor for this particular party?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is one editor that can be used to put items into personal inventories, but I'm not sure if it can be found somewhere (on Snafaru's site?). You can use Cosmic Forge to put the item into a vendor's inventory (to appear always) and then wait for a new day to begin in the game.
    Not Aelfinn or Eelfinn, but Realfinn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for replying.

I found an old backup of the same party that was present 2.5 game months earlier. The component was not present at the place where it was supposed to be found and it was not in my extra storage units, but the microwave chip was there. Also in that save, the party had not yet been to see Ferro.

I am strongly considering using the editor on a copy of the game to have He'li supply the gadget for my party to buy. Since I don't want to make the change permanent, could I then bring the save with the bought component back to my regular install without causing a problem? I am going to hunt around a bit more before doing anything.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned savegame editor can be found here at the bottom of the page,
    2nd last link aka "Wizardry 8 Editor (98k)"

Note that the editor uses its own item database, identical to Wiz8,
    so it will crash on accesc to a PCs inventory if that inventory contains an item with non registered id(item properties dont matter).

btw, items sold to vendors will disappear from shop inventory after some time