Thread: VR is super sweet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default VR is super sweet.

It really is amazing how easy it is to just get sucked in. I've been playing video games for my entire adult life, and with that along with how I think, it's difficult for me to get... "Immersed" into a game, I guess? I see mostly things like hitboxes and latency and advantages given to the AI to balance the lack of free thought. A sort of (very, very) uncool Neo, seeing games in terms of its code and mechanics. I wouldn't be surprised if this is pretty typical of a non-casual gamer.

Then I picked up Raw Data. The images and video don't give it justice. Something as simple as looking down at your "hands" really is trippy. The gun mechanics - reloading, shooting, holstering - really feel natural. Even the swordplay is good. Anyway, I got hit by gunfire after failing to dodge it, and it was the first time for me to be taken aback by a game like that. If you have a Vive, I highly recommend it.
    I block all signatures. Feel free to ignore mine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is the movement done on these things? I can't see it truly taking flight until you don't need to dedicate an entire room/space for it and the price goes down. I did see some gameplay of some sort of Wizard Wars type thing which looked cool as hell. I'd stand in my living room pretending to throw fireballs and freak my dogs out.

VR is going to need a killer bit of software to really make it blow up I think.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teleportation is the default. Aim on the ground with your non-gun hand and use the thumb pad. If you hold it down, it will highlight where you're going to teleport to, so you can decide a precise point. As long as you have the room for it, you can move around, as long as the area is within a 5m distance between the two sensors. So like, 3m x 4m. When you get close to a boundary, a grid appears, showing how far you have to go.

Teleport always available, room movement optional, the other option being stand in one spot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That seems a bit awkward though, isn't it?

We need omni directional movement devices. Get these people in a hamster ball.

I remember when I was a young lad we had some LAN centers to go game on top end PC's and hang out and whatnot - I wonder if something like that might take off for VR after awhile. They've got the room and ability to create a nicer setup than some people might manage in their home.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have these things:

Honestly though, the teleport mechanic is pretty easy to get used to. Press down, it paints the boundaries of your area, with your relative position in it, let go and you teleport. Or click and you teleport instantly. Because you have to dodge a lot, I tend to keep it pointed down and to my right, then use it as my dodge if it's a shot I can't duck.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what teleporting looks like:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried the Vive demo in a Microsoft store. There was a line for it. 3 demos I tried were
    The Blue - You are underwater on a sunken ship and these manta rays and a whale pass by its really pretty and you get so close to the whale you can see its eye and the tail almost hits you as it goes by. Attendant told me this was done by the same people who did Avatar. It looked so amazing.
    Raw Data - fun shooter. Way better then Police 911 2 an arcade light gun game which is similar in that you actually duck to dodge with no pedal like time crisis. Did not get to teleport much since demo really is just an ememy rush where you duck behind these barricades and shoot the enemies.
    Archery - you are on a rampart shooting stick figure enemies who try to rush the door to your castle. This was really fun since I have done archery both with a compound bow and kyudo as well as archery tag. People watching me were surprised that a woman was so good at this. Guys who did it before me were not very good.

I remember seeing the grid pop up if I walked to the edge of the ship or the rampart.

Vive is fun but I think the price is a bit high at $800 plus you need a powerful PC to back it up. VR will get more adoption when the price comes down and more good games come out. Will wait for more games. Just bought PS4 Pro for Final Fantasy 15 and World of Final Fantasy and been playing Pokemon Sun and Moon as well as Final Fantasy 14.

@Hep
    What PC do you have running your Vive. The attendant said the demo was running on the new Alienware with an i7 and gtx 1080.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i7 / Titan P. I'm considering getting a video cap card, so I can display mixed reality of the person playing, kinda of a party game atmosphere.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Hep
    That actually would be cool to have a VR set up with a separate monitor so people could watch like they did with the Microsoft Store demo for parties. I have friends over for game night/pot luck dinner fairly often so would be cool. Not sure I want to spend that much for something single player. I am big on couch multiplayer and board games with friends.

What video capture card are you looking at?

Put a little fence around it!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bit related -

We were heavy pushers and partners with NVIDIA for 3D Vision. We ended up handling a large deal between a local software developer and NVIDIA. The company was developing a 3D mapping software for dental reconstructive surgery (where the Dr and his team could go over complex processes involved in each case.) When the Rift DK1 was released, the developer decided to switch from 3D vision to VR. I worked with them and Oculus (pre-facebook) on setting up a initial development / demo purchase. During the initial meeting they showed me a tech demo for their software. I think if VR plays it's cards right, there's amazing potential in more than just gaming.

If MSFT stays true to the ideas set forth during the 'Windows 10 Creator's update conference' we should see sub $300 'good quality VR' sometime in spring next year.

Also FYI, both RIFT and VIVE have built-in mirroring modes
    Now, I am become Catbug, the destroyer of realities .

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avariel View Post
    What video capture card are you looking at?
    I'm using this as a basic guide. It's suggesting this. I haven't decided yet, since the whole setup is yet another significant cost, but I at least have a usable camera already.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddire View Post
    I think if VR plays it's cards right, there's amazing potential in more than just gaming.
    That was a big theme in a few videos I watched. Google's painting program really is amazing. I'm hoping they get the wireless add-on up and running (well) soon.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hep View Post
    Here's what teleporting looks like:

I suspect we have some different gaming goals, wants, and needs - but that movement looks so awkward to me. I've spent so many years playing games where movement was such a big part it'd feel awkward to start teleporting around. Seems like it works for that game and it's styling though - but I figure they'll need to figure something better out for a potential big future title.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it goes with the game, since it's kind of a Matrix ripoff. There's light-saber and punching gameplay, too. Movement is tricky to work right, because it causes motion sickness quickly. Having your eyeballs move one way, while your balance says you're not moving at all does not play well with the brain. That Omni accessory works well enough, it's just not very conducive to anything other than stand-up movement. Ducking, sneaking, etc, don't work well with it. Most of the room stuff will be for parties. The things I'm looking forward to in the immediate future is flight sims, racing games, things of that nature.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it goes with the game, since it's kind of a Matrix ripoff. There's light-saber and punching gameplay, too. Movement is tricky to work right, because it causes motion sickness quickly. Having your eyeballs move one way, while your balance says you're not moving at all does not play well with the brain. That Omni accessory works well enough, it's just not very conducive to anything other than stand-up movement. Ducking, sneaking, etc, don't work well with it. Most of the room stuff will be for parties. The things I'm looking forward to in the immediate future is flight sims, racing games, things of that nature.
    Did you get the VR movie theater media player yet? I really enjoyed that one 8D

http://www.mindprobelabs.com/index.html

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not yet, that looks pretty cool, though. It comes with a media player already, but not as fancy as that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not yet, that looks pretty cool, though. It comes with a media player already, but not as fancy as that.
    btw watching 3d movies with that in VR is some inception level $#@!.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, I'd love a VR flight sim.

I played War Thunder for ages, and despite it's horrible slavic overlording developer sucking nuts, the game itself was actually quite amazing. Some of the most fun I've ever had in a video game was setting up my webcam to work with head tracking and dog fighting over the Pacific. I'd probably buy a setup just for that - and it totally negates the entire movement issue too because you are stuck in a seat.

I do understand though - not much can be done about that movement. Maybe it'd ruin it in some ways, but I'd totally cool playing with a headset on and a keyboard and mouse.

I totally love the new tech, but in some ways I'm a bit of a traditionalist - I grew up on Ultima and the like so graphics have never been the most important part of a game for me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah man... a Mech Warrior setup would be fun as hell too. I remember the gigantic custom control boards they had for those back in the day...

*drools*

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently purchased the VR set for the PS4 and couldn't be happier.

It's not nearly as sophisticated as the Vive as far as tracking goes, nor are its game selections as plentiful, but I have faith that Sony and 3rd party devs will do it justice.

But as for the VR itself - I've never demo'd VR before, so standing around in my living room and popping in a sea diving game was quite the experience. The immersion was intense and it really got my senses going.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Effex View Post
    I recently purchased the VR set for the PS4 and couldn't be happier.

It's not nearly as sophisticated as the Vive as far as tracking goes, nor are its game selections as plentiful, but I have faith that Sony and 3rd party devs will do it justice.

But as for the VR itself - I've never demo'd VR before, so standing around in my living room and popping in a sea diving game was quite the experience. The immersion was intense and it really got my senses going.
    I was playing that this weekend at a friends house. My only beef with SONY's VR is how bad the tracking is of the controllers. When I played the batman VR game, the controllers have this shaky bug that makes it seem like I have Parkinson's or something. When you have to read that clipboard it's so shaky that it's like reading in a car. If they can patch that out, it'd really be a winner for the console market.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, I've heard that so many times with people having issues with the tracking. Maybe I'm lucky but I've had little to no issues at all. Albeit I haven't played Batman VR yet, but heavy tracking games like Pixel Gear and Tumble VR have been fine. I did notice that the Move controllers do seem to have better tracking than the standard dualshock controllers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, Sony knocked it out of the park with their VR. It may not be the absolute best, but there's nothing close for the price, and it has all of the exposure the console market has to offer. Nothing comparable will come out at that price point until mid-2017 at the minimum, after Sony has gobbled up the competition.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, Sony knocked it out of the park with their VR. It may not be the absolute best, but there's nothing close for the price, and it has all of the exposure the console market has to offer. Nothing comparable will come out at that price point until mid-2017 at the minimum, after Sony has gobbled up the competition.
    Kinda? Wasn't Win10 CU1 supposed to hit early 2017? CU1 is also going to bring HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus and Acer into the sub $300 VR mass market. https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/26/hp...arting-at-299/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, those were the ones I was talking about. For some reason, I thought they were delayed until mid-2017.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Budikah View Post
    How is the movement done on these things? I can't see it truly taking flight until you don't need to dedicate an entire room/space for it and the price goes down. I did see some gameplay of some sort of Wizard Wars type thing which looked cool as hell. I'd stand in my living room pretending to throw fireballs and freak my dogs out.

VR is going to need a killer bit of software to really make it blow up I think.
    Saw this today, thought you'd be interested: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...for-vr-nausea/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another movement prototype:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Hep
    Thank you. Considering getting a capture card to stream console games like Wii U or PS4 not for vr.
    @Budikah
    VR Mechwarrior would be nice. I remember playing the Battletech pods at Virtual Words center. Those were cool.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if Rigs is a PS4 exclusive, but it's a pretty sweet mech game:

https://www.amazon.com/RIGS-Mechaniz...words=ps4+rigs

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MechWarrior 5, due in 2018 will support VR.

Mentioned
    978 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: The-Corfel Steam ID: corfel

So @Jeff

Mentioned
    978 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: The-Corfel Steam ID: corfel

Has anyone tested the PS4 VR set?

I'm tempted but hesitant with the whole 4.5 release thing

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corfel View Post
    So @Jeff
    Stuff~

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    452 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corfel View Post
    Has anyone tested the PS4 VR set?

I'm tempted but hesitant with the whole 4.5 release thing
    its about damn time they came out with a MechWarrior. Ive always been interested in VR, but it would have to be the right game.
    Stuff~

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We picked up two Vives last month and have been having a blast with them. I haven't had this much fun with video games since I was a little kid.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might think maybe, in the future, or maybe 5 more years, we could see or try prototype just like the assassin creed movie, or something we can move really freely and the way we want to move

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abner View Post
    I might think maybe, in the future, or maybe 5 more years, we could see or try prototype just like the assassin creed movie, or something we can move really freely and the way we want to move
    There are already some experiences like this in VR. It will take a few more product generations for price to go down and averagemans hardware to catch up to where VR can be widely adopted. Still a ways off from a major studio investing in something as ambitious as this. The porn is pretty good though

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quiv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abner View Post
    There are already some experiences like this in VR. It will take a few more product generations for price to go down and averagemans hardware to catch up to where VR can be widely adopted. Still a ways off from a major studio investing in something as ambitious as this. The porn is pretty good though
    ^^^

I think one of the major issues I have with my vive is the screen door effect due to the meh resolution screens. Tech really isn't at the point to (affordability) drive dual 4k+ screens @ decent frame rates. Once that hurdle is removed, I suspect VR's popularity will increase dramatically.

As far as the nsfw content that's .. uh...certainty an interesting avenue.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what happens if you have face scanning software? You can remove the headset from mixed reality.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what happens if you have face scanning software? You can remove the headset from mixed reality.
    I feel like streamers will be the commercial adopters of this if it is viable/available.