Thread: Fun with Pi - Building a RetroPie

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fun with Pi - Building a RetroPie

For those who don't know, RetroPie is software that has been conjured up by some blessed tech wizards that allows you to run emulators on a Raspberry Pi board. I just picked up all the goodies I need to set one up aside from the controllers. I was originally influenced by Nintendo's release of their classic system - and the subsequent rarity/lack of stock that seems to be the hallmark of Nintendo itself. So I said screw it, I'll build it myself.

Any of you folks build one of these yet? Mainly looking to play just about anything before N64 - I heard it'll play some N64 games but that isn't really what I'm interested in and I doubt they'd play well anyways.

Even not - has anybody used a Raspberry Pi before? I've been bored and looking to pick up some new skills lately and programming has caught my eye, but I learn best when I can actively apply my learning to something immediately in front of me and figured this is a good first step, and then I'll probably keep chugging on a bit.

Put it in this section because it's more techy than general gaming. I'll toss some updates when I get this thing going in the next week or so in between my work schedule.

https://retropie.org.uk/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: halidonhill

Quote Originally Posted by Budikah View Post
    For those who don't know, RetroPie is software that has been conjured up by some blessed tech wizards that allows you to run emulators on a Raspberry Pi board. I just picked up all the goodies I need to set one up aside from the controllers. I was originally influenced by Nintendo's release of their classic system - and the subsequent rarity/lack of stock that seems to be the hallmark of Nintendo itself. So I said screw it, I'll build it myself.

Any of you folks build one of these yet? Mainly looking to play just about anything before N64 - I heard it'll play some N64 games but that isn't really what I'm interested in and I doubt they'd play well anyways.

Even not - has anybody used a Raspberry Pi before? I've been bored and looking to pick up some new skills lately and programming has caught my eye, but I learn best when I can actively apply my learning to something immediately in front of me and figured this is a good first step, and then I'll probably keep chugging on a bit.

Put it in this section because it's more techy than general gaming. I'll toss some updates when I get this thing going in the next week or so in between my work schedule.

https://retropie.org.uk/
    I have a Pi 3 running RetroPie. It's very solid. I ended up getting an NES Classic anyway though just because.

I have 5 Pis actively running right now. We have 3 Pi 3's running XBMC for streaming on the bedroom TVs, 1 Pi 3 with XBMC and RetroPie microSDs for Streaming or Gaming on our living room TV (mainly used for RetroPie now since the Amazon Fire TV showed up), and a Pi 2 in a HeaterMeter build for my BBQ rig.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got the Pi setup, was incredibly easy off the bat. I got a nice Bluetooth 8bitdo controller to go with it. Now to just load it up with all the goodies I need. I'd like to get Kodi up and running on it too - but I need to figure out the config to get my controller working with Kodi.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pi work pretty well for old games like NES but N64 and newer Mame games don't work very well. I think the big issue I had was getting them to play games off the media server. Easy to set up otherwise.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a MicroSD card and I have the Pi on my network so I can just drag and drop files into it and reboot to get them working.

So far I've found that N64 games are hit and miss - although Mario Kart 64 works pretty much flawlessly so I'm not too concerned. I built this thing for games and I've honestly used it more for streaming TV shows and whatnot with KODI + Exodus addon. I need to go find a few more games and finish my collection - digging through ROMS is brutal. You grab one for say... Tecmo Bowl... then you find out that about 500 hacked versions are packaged in that update the roster every year... or you get Mario... on Acid.

It's fiddly, but it's fun. Don't regret the purchase at all.

Captain of the **** show smakadop's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)
    View Channel: smakadop
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: craknsmak

Just caught this thread.
    I bought a pi3b a month or so ago and tossed retropie on it. Ive been having a good time with it, and its a cool toy to show off. I need to get a cooler case.

Regarding the n64 emulation, i think you can overclock and/or change out the power source to get it to run faster, but i havent read much about it. Id assume heat and being careful with power draw are the same concerns and overclocking and overvolting traditional PC parts.
    Not Smakish - I'm always streaming. If you fight me and ever want to see a highlight, just let me know!
    http://www.twitch.tv/smakadop
    http://gimpchimp.etilader.com/s/smakadop
    "Pulled the panties down, and the tic had a whip!"