Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Huh...don't do this.

So I'm goofing off in Wiz 8...again.

Working through the Umpani missions. Time to go up to the gunnery range. OK, get up there. Talk to Rubble.

He's giving me the "Hold on there! We can't put civvies thru the obstacle course!"

At the end of that little spiel, the game *crashes*.

Here's the deal: I gave Rubble my IUF pass at the obstacle course to kick things off...NOT by talking to him. SOOO...in the script, examining it with CF, I never got the First Greeting taken care of. So now up at the gunnery range, it's trying to execute First Greeting and its side effects...and it can't. And outside CF there's no way to get the game to skip the first greeting, and actually jump to the correct one.

This MAY only be a critical problem with Rubble, because of the move involved (which he can't execute), but...

If you want to be safe, DON'T kick off *initial* conversations with NPCs by giving them something. It's quite possible that Rubble's the only one where it matters this much, tho.

NOTE: the fix is to go into the NPC script editor in CF, and to modify the First Greeting. There's a "if aligned with Umpani, then..." set. Change the flag check to FALSE, not true...just remember to change it back later. Then you let Rubble give his first speech, and you can exit the conversation and kick it back in. That worked. I now have my rocket launcher and will show those dummies NO MERCY!!!

Or something like that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly enough, I always initiate the second and later conversations with Z'ant by giving him a quest item. There is a random bug with Z'Ant where he goes hostile.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Its indeed only an issue with rubbles script.

If you have already used the pass at the obstacle ourse to initiate speech or dont want to go back:
    Open a plain text editor like notepad, save the empty file as:
    Code:
    Wizardry8InstallDir\data\monsters\scripts\MOVERUBBLE.MSF
    Code tag was required as some weird mechanics(boards language filter?)
    adds a space into plain term Wiz8InstallDir\data\monsters\scripts\moverubble.ms f

Pls note that you may have to create the folder \scripts,
    also you must delete the .msf file for the next playthrough unless you intend to use the lvl 1 iuf pass again.

A failsafe for handing the iuf pass instead of entering speech would be an unconditional jump in Rubbles NPC script block 134 to a new block
    where he e.g. demands to be announced properly instead of handing him a security pass without comment.
    Optionally add an unconditional jump as last command to the new block which leads to block 0 so players save a click.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    There is a random bug with Z'Ant where he goes hostile.
    Based on peeks behind the curtain, i am rather sure that it is not a bug but a feature intended by the devs,
    a random event which improves replay value for players who know the game very well,
    which fits perfectly into the whole picture i get from what&how they did things along with comments not intended for public use in the unused NPC scripts.
    Also facts are most probably bug free in terms of switching their values randomly
    the core plot relies hvly on many different facts and it would brake the game if any of them randomly changes its value.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rubble's has to be one of the most complex scripts, because you meet him several times...but also in several *places* and he does some things that...best I can remember anyway...no one else does. (Move within the script.)

You're right, tho, the point about forcing him to start with conversation would do it. Probably do that soon here, when I go back to undo the change I made in block 0.

Nomad: it's pretty clear it's absolutely intended for Z'Ant to go hostile. I don't think the Umpani ever will unless of course you crash their ship. Well given that...what's the point of the bribe to He'li...if not to keep the T'Rang from finding out?

Also, the specific issues with Rubble's script that kicked in my problem, can't happen with Z'Ant on the 2nd and later interactions. Z'Ant never moves; the crash, I'm pretty sure, is for an impossible move. And I *think* with all the NPCs you meet multiple times: all the Subsequent Greetings scripts pass through all the Facts in play at that time. In fact, the reason why handing something to the NPC works, is it bypasses that. So it's an end run with the script. I'd actually agree: THIS behavior, at least with Z'Ant (and again, there are darn few NPCs where this could matter) is intentional, so you *can* complete the game's "most favored" path despite slight mis-ordering of task execution or just bad luck.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a way to prove that the fact "bribe is paid" affects Z'Ant? I seldom pay it (and haven't noticed how He'Li's script goes much beyond that). I have had a feeling that Z'Ant's reaction is based on how many times the party visit him. I usually have the Umpani flag with me when I visit him for the first time and then I may give the coordinates immediately after I have received that mission. I seem to remember that the last time I wanted to to cheat less and waited until I had reached Bayjin to talk to Z'Ant there was one visit too much: as I came to him with Drazic and Lewarx, in spite of giving him the item he revealed the party's double status.
    Not Aelfinn or Eelfinn, but Realfinn