Thread: Missile sounds

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Missile sounds

I've been trying to assign sounds to a few of the missiles in the game by copying files to the appropriate directory and adding the SOUND_FRAME line to the missile script.

There's one problem with that. The sound plays, but usually so quietly that it's practically impossible to hear it unless the volume is so high that the other sound effects of the game are going to deafen the player.

Does anyone know a solution or a workaround? Thanks in advance!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There appears to be no sound volume parameter options in the missile scripts,
    so the volume probably only relies on the sound files.

Did you try to assign one of the games already existing missile sounds files for the new missile?

If so i dont have any idea of a solution approach,
    perhaps as a workaround assign the sounds to the item or spell itself?
    But if its not related to missile sounds only you may run into the same issue that way.

Else make sure the new sounds use the same format, i.e. mono 16bit @44.1kHz 705kbit/sec
    and amplify the volume with e.g. audacity to the level we have in the original sounds
    may even allow some clipping for that if the result is not a pain in the ears.

btw:
    i wanted spcl fx for flying missiles but its impossible to attach particles to a specific vertex of a missiles 3D model,
    (they are always generated at x=0, y=0, z=0, a workaround is to adjust the 3D models position to the particles generation point)
    so i created particles with constant velocity & straight direction that fly with same speed as the missile,
    it hopefully gives the impression of a glow around the projectile. (A-sparkle-blue1.tga in 4th texture slot @0.0 alpha & 1.0 shininess)

Regarding synchronization of the particles speed to the missile,
    for faster battles i have set at least all physical missiles speed to 250 in their scripts
    and a constant particle velocity of 82 appears rougly appropriate.

p.s. please note that the SKINSWAP command from monsters .mls files also works for missile scripts,
    spells haven been tested yet.
    Last edited by townltu; 03-26-2017 at 03:53 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, assigning them to the item/spell, that does sound like a reasonable idea.

I'll give it a try, thanks!

I'm not sure how they work with spells that have missiles, though, because as of now new spells only work if they have missiles assigned.