User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Decent price gaming chair recommendations?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Decent price gaming chair recommendations?

    Greetings everyone.

    I'm looking to upgrade my bottom carrier to a gaming chair. Tired of uncomfortable office chairs so I'm looking for a reclining gaming chair that's a bit more comfortable, healthier and sturdier. I can't spend herman miller money on it, so I'm looking for something around $300 tops.

    Any input would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Newbie Budikah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,003
    Likes (Given)
    91
    Likes (Received)
    274
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've done a bit of research myself because nothing has really fit me that well, or my desk. I'm a big guy at 6'3 which can be a pain to find decent back support for.

    Everything I've read has said look for executive/high backed office chairs. The "gaming" branded chairs are just not worth it - stuff like Dxracer or whatnot. Maybe they are and I'm sure people like them, but you can probably get something better built that doesn't have an added tag attached to it.

    I've heard good things about Ikeas high backed office chairs.

    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19031737/

  3. #3
    I Am Fantastic Ability Hep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39,788
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    456
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I work from home and use my office chair a ton. My advice:

    • Try it out first. The more the floor model is used, the better. Use accentuates flaws, and that's what you're really looking for: what flaws the chair will have in the long term.
    • It's better to have a seat and arms that are in a comfortable position statically, than to have it adjustable. When it's adjustable, it will probably become wobbly over time.
    • Metal base, all one piece. It will have a lower center of gravity, so you don't have to fight as much moving it around, and for some reason, the hard plastic tends to start creaking earlier.
    • Leather / fake leather will be hotter and more prone to marring / tears, cloth will be more likely to cause static and harder to clean food stains. Pick your priorities.
    • Check the warranty, and don't be scared or too lazy to use it.
    I block all signatures. Feel free to ignore mine.

  4. #4
    Master of Knavery Ghoest9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    24,720
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    169
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    At $300 your best bet s to build your self a custom Adirondack type chair.and buy some thin cushions.

    You cant buy anything decent that reclines for that price.


    Or if you are a bit handy and local junk yard and buy a comfortable seat out of a wreck and build a frame around it. If your married this will only fly if you have a man cave though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedoba View Post
    You're a big, bad keyboard warrior. Keep hiding behind that keyboard..
    What did you say that you do for a living? Oh yeah, you didn't say..wonder why..
    We have Mardi Gras starting February 6th, why not come on down and join in the fun, Mr. Keyboard?
    Oh yeah, I'm sure you're too busy for that, right old boy?

  5. #5
    Boom! _Spagz_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,453
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    59
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton

    "Be polite, be professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet." - Maj. Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis

  6. #6
    Founder Acery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    42,038
    Likes (Given)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    88
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have a nice high back office chair that I bought from Sams Club some 15 years ago. That chair is still going strong after sitting in it for hours on end when I'd do 10 hour stints of DAoC after work. (I swear that game is why I'm all $#@!ed up sleep patter wise)

    I will look at the manufacturer's name when I get home later.

    I use one of those mesh seats at work with a lumbar and head rest. So far, no complaints. I have lower back problems as well. (link to this one: https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...QwzwIGA&adurl=)

    I sit on it for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. So far, the mesh has held up to me (I'm only 165 lbs though, YMMV). It reclines and locks into position. You can even leave it unlocked and rock (back only, bottom is stationary)
    Last edited by Acery; 04-10-2017 at 08:07 AM.
    Vault Network Forum Manager - Rolled to IGN
    PC Admin - Retired
    DAoC Manager - Active
    Acery - Lancelot - Retired
    Acery - Pellinor - Retired
    P.O.O.P. - People Offended by Offended People

  7. #7
    Newbie JakenCake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    15
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'll start by saying that I did tons of research concerning this topic and despite what others may be saying (don't mean to offend anyone here) DXRacers and such are the real deal. So I have to strongly disagree with budikah about it being not worth it and ghoest9 that you can't get anything decent that reclines below $300. Can't really blame people for being sceptical concerning these chairs given there's not much information about gaming chairs but they are just awesome. Also the reason why you see some people saying that DXRacers are uncomfortable is because they are not aware of body build recommendations. High-end chairs like DXRacer usually have a very small range of recommended height and weight you have to fit in for it to be comfortable.

    If you aren't tall or don't weight too much you can choose between a few DXRacer models that recline are comfortable, sturdy (with metal frame and quality mechansims), have PU wheels, height or 3D adjustable armrests and most importantly are healthy (ergonomic design and bunch of other stuff too). There are also a few other brands that you could get like GT Omega or AKRacing but DXRacers are at the top of this game. As mentioned before I would have to know your weight and height to recommend something that would fit you best.

    I own a blog on this topic that I write from time to time so if you want some recommendations on best gaming chairs or to read up on why exactly gaming chairs are not just a title to up the sales - feel free to read up on my website http://www.gamingchairsxp.com/. I'm not much of a writer but quite sure it's gonna be of some help in clearing up some of your questions.

    Hope this helps!

    P.S. I LOVE my damn DXRacer too

  8. #8
    I Am Fantastic Ability Hep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39,788
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    456
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'll check out that site. Love it when such a niche subject that you happen to care about already has someone who thoroughly researched it.
    I block all signatures. Feel free to ignore mine.

  9. #9
    Newbie JakenCake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    15
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep View Post
    I'll check out that site. Love it when such a niche subject that you happen to care about already has someone who thoroughly researched it.
    Please do! I haven't had the time to go into details yet unfortunately but I have it thoroughly researched. Ended up cutting corners as not to expand too much on the subject. It's just my hobby I recently picked up and I'm definitely not a writer so it'd help if you go easy on critique.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ok so thank you all for help. I really appreciate it.

    I read your blog Jaken and it really helped me out a lot so thank you for that. Just like you recommended I ended purchasing a DXRacer and I have to say it's the best thing ever. I really love everything about it. Can't imagine going back to any of those office chairs really.

    Again, thanks all! If any of you decide to buy a DXRacer I can vouch for it. They are awesome!

  11. #11
    Newbie Budikah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,003
    Likes (Given)
    91
    Likes (Received)
    274
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My only real critique of it all comes down to - how many of these chairs on your site did you actually use in your own home for gaming? Or at the very least get to sit in for a bit in a showroom or something?

    I enjoy reading well done reviews - but it adds a dubious quality to it when you cannot be sure if the reviewer actually used the product. Take America's Test Kitchen for example - they go through their "best of" lists and really dig into what worked, what didn't worked, and why it didn't work - they use the hell out of all the products they review. Your website is well laid out, and you do many things great but as a passer by (I found it on Google before I saw this thread as I was looking for a chair recently) it gave me the feeling that you just *really* liked DXRacers and perhaps it was part of the typical marketing that companies do nowadays.

    I'm going to go hunt a DXRacer down to sit in however, and I'll keep on reading your site either way. I've just grown paranoid with how many companies have either set up, or bought off some review sites as part of their marketing programs.

  12. #12
    Newbie JakenCake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    15
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budikah View Post
    My only real critique of it all comes down to - how many of these chairs on your site did you actually use in your own home for gaming? Or at the very least get to sit in for a bit in a showroom or something?

    I enjoy reading well done reviews - but it adds a dubious quality to it when you cannot be sure if the reviewer actually used the product. Take America's Test Kitchen for example - they go through their "best of" lists and really dig into what worked, what didn't worked, and why it didn't work - they use the hell out of all the products they review. Your website is well laid out, and you do many things great but as a passer by (I found it on Google before I saw this thread as I was looking for a chair recently) it gave me the feeling that you just *really* liked DXRacers and perhaps it was part of the typical marketing that companies do nowadays.

    I'm going to go hunt a DXRacer down to sit in however, and I'll keep on reading your site either way. I've just grown paranoid with how many companies have either set up, or bought off some review sites as part of their marketing programs.
    I completely understand why you'd question this but it's not like (say) auto mechanics have to try every and each of the cars just to be able to tell the kind of cars they are, their cons and pros. With a lot of research you can tell the difference between chairs and they are nowhere near as complicated as said cars. Surely I haven't tried all of them because I would have to give them all at least 8 hours each everyday for a few years to tell their quality the old way. I simply have a lot of knowledge on how gaming chairs work and what makes them healthy, comfortable etc. to the point where I wouldn't refuse a chance to design one myself. Again, I understand your suspicions but I simply spent a lot of my time researching them.

    I had a chance to try a lot of DXRacers (in a showroom), Classic Herman Millers Aeron, a GT Omega and quite a few other not so big name chairs but that shouldn't be saying anything about me but underline my passion for gaming chairs.

    The reason why it looks that I really like DXRacers is well because I really like them and because they currently are the best gaming chair brand on the market what I'm very sure about (I might have to tone down a bit on DXRacers wasn't really aware it would make me look like a sell-out). No, it's not any kind of company bought or set up blog marketing thing. You can be sure about that. My website, unlike you might think, is relatively new and there are not a lot of visitors at all. If someone sponsored me they would be just throwing their money away .

    Also I haven't yet had the time to write about topics including other brands some would consider good alternatives to DXRacer (like GT Omega, AKRacing etc). The reason I didn't include other brands in my main article is because DXRacers simply beat them at those price ranges.

    In any case, if you'd like me to go into details I will gladly do so just to prove my points. So if you have any questions feel free to ask me!

  13. #13
    Newbie Budikah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,003
    Likes (Given)
    91
    Likes (Received)
    274
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JakenCake View Post

    I completely understand why you'd question this but it's not like (say) auto mechanics have to try every and each of the cars just to be able to tell the kind of cars they are, their cons and pros. With a lot of research you can tell the difference between chairs and they are nowhere near as complicated as said cars. Surely I haven't tried all of them because I would have to give them all at least 8 hours each everyday for a few years to tell their quality the old way. I simply have a lot of knowledge on how gaming chairs work and what makes them healthy, comfortable etc. to the point where I wouldn't refuse a chance to design one myself. Again, I understand your suspicions but I simply spent a lot of my time researching them.
    I'd venture that car mechanics are at the very least involved in car repair, and see/experience quite a bit through the shop and through the grapevine of personal/professional contacts. They've got continued experience with the design/repair/upkeep of their area of specialty. I do understand the point you are making - it's unreasonable to expect a single individual to be able to thoroughly buy/test each chair out ala America's Test Kitchen - you'd need a company with a large budget, and a bunch of varying sized gamers to test out chairs/durability/etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by JakenCake View Post
    I had a chance to try a lot of DXRacers (in a showroom), Classic Herman Millers Aeron, a GT Omega and quite a few other not so big name chairs but that shouldn't be saying anything about me but underline my passion for gaming chairs.

    The reason why it looks that I really like DXRacers is well because I really like them and because they currently are the best gaming chair brand on the market what I'm very sure about (I might have to tone down a bit on DXRacers wasn't really aware it would make me look like a sell-out). No, it's not any kind of company bought or set up blog marketing thing. You can be sure about that. My website, unlike you might think, is relatively new and there are not a lot of visitors at all. If someone sponsored me they would be just throwing their money away .

    Also I haven't yet had the time to write about topics including other brands some would consider good alternatives to DXRacer (like GT Omega, AKRacing etc). The reason I didn't include other brands in my main article is because DXRacers simply beat them at those price ranges.

    In any case, if you'd like me to go into details I will gladly do so just to prove my points. So if you have any questions feel free to ask me!
    One, don't discount your own website that much. It looks good, operates fine aside from some mobile viewing oddities on my Android using Chrome when it comes to the scaling on the comparison chart - I just hit view on desktop and it works great. The entire reason for the post is simply that marketing is getting deeper and more clever than ever. I browse Reddit fairly often and the schemes people work up to sell a product/guerrilla advertise are astounding. It's not unusual to see a series of accounts that operate like a pitcher (influencer/starter) tossing a soft pitch to a batter (the company looking to sell a product) - there are quite a few "review" sites out there that are questionable, and my usual first hint is a total affinity for a specific brand of product.

    DXRacers might indeed be the best out there - I'll go hunt one down and try one locally if I can. Portland is full of nerds, so there has to be one somewhere I can slam my ass in for awhile. The complaints I had heard about them previously was that they were simply overpriced and not as durable as expected for the price. Personally, they all look a bit to gaudy to me but that is simply a preference. Comfort, Ergonomics, and Durability are all king for these type of products so that is what comes first.

    I did however learn that they come with the ability to fully recline - I sort of scratched my head reading what you wrote about taking a nap in your chair but to each their own

    Intent wasn't to offend, it just seemed odd - a random OP comes in who only has two posts on this forum - being this thread - and you, seemingly a rare contributor here, just happen to show up with a mountain of work done on the subject. It doesn't equate to foul play, but in 2017 it certainly has me raising an eye is all. Looking at your Alexa site rankings, it seems fairly reasonable that you are indeed just a dude who loves gaming chairs - and I can believe it as I usually do an assload of research into what I buy as well. Thanks for the resource, sorry for the sass.

    Edit - And I'm fairly sure I was mistaken, your site isn't the one I saw when looking for chairs a few months back.

  14. #14
    Master of Knavery Ghoest9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    24,720
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    169
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Nice site.
    I was not very away of these sort of gaming chairs. Nor that they were reliners.
    So I learned something.

    When I think of a reclining chair I think of something a bit more substantial and not something on wheels. I often sit Indian style while reclined and I think i wouldtip over in many of these chairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedoba View Post
    You're a big, bad keyboard warrior. Keep hiding behind that keyboard..
    What did you say that you do for a living? Oh yeah, you didn't say..wonder why..
    We have Mardi Gras starting February 6th, why not come on down and join in the fun, Mr. Keyboard?
    Oh yeah, I'm sure you're too busy for that, right old boy?

  15. #15
    Newbie Delo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    141
    Likes (Given)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    22
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    More durable chairs need to be labeled as "office chairs". That means that they are tested for a weight of 150kg/330pounds. Normal labeled "desk chairs" are only tested for 120kg/265pounds and are mostly not that durable.
    For a price of 300$ donīt expect to get quality leather.
    Back in the days, when Ikea delivers quality, Iīve bought a leather office chair and it still lasts and works for me (6.5").
    R.I.P. DAoC 2016

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •