Thread: Wizardry won`t run on my win 7 64 bit system

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wizardry won`t run on my win 7 64 bit system

First, i have never posted before, but been a lurker for a long time on the forum ( obviously not so long on the new forum ).
    I have been playing wiz 8 a lot, and wanted to play qusari`s new mod after i got my new rig, but oh.......... nothing works.
    Well her`s the deal.
    When i first tried Qusari`s mod it worked fine, only the injector would`nt work (got nowhere in the game, and i am quite sure i got everything right with it).
    Well tried a new install, and wizardry wont`t even start, i click the icon (in the folder) it shows some reaction for a couple of seconds and then nothing. Tried all kinds of kompatibilities but still nothing.
    Have tried installing it several times, and this last time i got only the "normal" wizardry to run, but with no sound, tried a new sound configuration, but now nothing (just as before). The injector tells me it has been sucessfull, but the game is just not working.
    I have tried to install it about five times, because i tought it to be faulty installs, but now i just don`t know anymore.
    So if anybody has an idea it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for my english, Not exactly the top of the art .

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im running Windows 7 Home on a HP64bit AMD Athelon II Nvidia.
    Have not changed the compatibility and runs fine on the regular Wiz8, just started Qusari Mod V1.1 yesterday and so far no problems.
    Are u able to try the game on another machine with a dif video card ? sometimes a video card can cause problems with software running.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried it on another machine, and it did run perfectly. Only problem is it is not my own machine.
    I have ATI radeon 5800 series, is there any possible workaround so i can run wizardry 8 on my machine?.
    Not quite a wizkid in the computer department .

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats what i was wondering, ATI, have heard many problems with that brand. So if its fine on another machine then its your hardware most likely. If its an integrated video card then u might want to invest in a good video card for your machine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea have had a lot of problems here too, thou at the moment it is running resonably stable, althou there are hickhups. But i have been reluctant to buy a new card, because they cost a lot.
    The card is not integrated, what difference does that make?.
    If i should look for another wideo card, Do you have any suggestion for what to look for?.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Integrated Video cards share resources and slows the system, dedicated cards carry their own and add to the system.
    I would suggest looking for a Nvidia card that's in your price range, don't have to get a great one. Mine have been mid ranged and just over $100.
    Its worth the peace of mind not having a buggy card.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply, I think i will try out a new card, and it sertantly is worth the pease of mind, mine has been many times.

Creator of Reforged Mod 1.1 Qusari's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried the

3Dsetup.exe from within your wiz 8 installation ?

PUt graphic Interface to DirectX7 and the resolution 1024x768x32 (to test_if it works you can change the resolution to higher later)

For the 3D Sound Interface put it to

Miles Fast 2d Positional Audio

In my case putting it to Miles solved all problems for me. (no real driver installation needed)

The Miles driver was once recommended to me by some russian guy
    Last edited by Qusari; 04-23-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried your configuration directX7 resolution 1024x768x32 and miles fast 2d positional audio, but still nothing, if i click the normal exe it asks for the disc, but when i use the disc there are a couple of seconds delay and then nothing, the same with the nocd exe.

It seems really strange because it has worked once, (without sound), and one time when i could make your mod work, but not with the injector (maby that was some other problem?).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wiz8 ran on a lot of my different thinkpad laptops with graphics from different vendors,
    several atis among them, no machine had real issues running the game, besides a grid showing up with s3 savage

Todays graphic units should all be backwards compatible to the standard of 2001,
    they only have to stretch 640x480 to screen resolution.
    From that i dont think its the card itself, pehaps driver or setup,
    but in that case it should show a question/exclamation mark in device manager.

The fact that the game does not run at all is probably related to of Win7
    but Wizardry 8, the mods and also CFinjector work are comfirmed to work with correct adjustments in Win7
    In case you use win7 i unfortunately can give only common advice as non win7 user:
    install Wizardry 8 out of program files folder, use comaptibility mode, keep uac off.
    The game does not require registry entries, try to copy a complete install from other machine.
    Last not least install XP additionally (in case check the webs Tutorials about win7+XP)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm i have run it in d:\games folder and without uac.
    Just tried copying it from another machine, but it gave the same result.
    Will try to install xp now, but it might take some time, did`nt know it was possible even .

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have been doing some searching. It seems it is not possible to make a dualboot of windows 7 with xp without running into serious problems.
    The only way to do this seems to be to install xp first and then windows 7, and i am afraid that might cause serious problems for my current installs (of games/programs).
    I might just have to wait and hope that gog.com will start selling it, and updating it to run on all systems.

Btv. found several treads where people had similar problems to mine, but unfortunatly no solution.

Was thinking about forcing direct draw(disabling of it), but my grafics driver won`t allow it.
    Ofcourse direktx7 mode should solve that issue, so i might just be grasping at straws here, (i don`t even know if that might be an issue).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If u buy a new graphics card u can always return it if it does not fix the problem, or even just to see if it makes a difference.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have been looking some more, found this tool http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ang=en&id=7352, it enables you to run you`r game/programs in a lot of different compatibilities. Tried them all. but no positive result, so now i tend to beleave that it must be an issue with some of my hardware, althou i might be terrible wrong.

As it looks now, i might just try out a new grafics card, don`t know any other possibillity, that at least won`t give me serious pain.
    Just don`t sure if i am going to do that now, but at least it will be a try if no other possibility shows itself.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on the store as I said, u can take it back when u narrow down the problem.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running the reforged 1.1 now .

In fact it was in fact something i thought i checked for a long time ago, it is quite embarrasing realy.
    There was a double entry of my wizardry 8 exe in programs, found it by going into start folder and typing wizardry 8 in the field.
    Saw two wizardry entries, deleted the one i didin`t like ( the one not in my games folder), and that`s it, no problem running normal wizardry, reforged, and i guess any other mod too.

So finally i get to try the reforged mod, wanted to do that for a long time

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hehe now on to new adventures

beware the turtles !

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If my party is like i am now they won`t stand a chance

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, glad to hear u can have fun now
    I have mine on 2 dif drives D/E so they dont get confused.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having multiple installs is not a problem.
    I am running Windows 7 64-bit and I have at least 8 different installs. I do have a Nvidia graphics card.

wiz 8s.jpg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nomad posted a pic.

The pic made town quite curious about the content of folder 7+8 :D

Is there a chance that we will see it sooner or later?

(scnr, pardon me if you mind that question,
    but if you post such a pic you should imo also be prepared...;)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't worked on it for over 3 years now, I just haven't deleted it. Maybe some day, but I am 65 now and may not get a chance to ever finish it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was a shortcut i deleted i deleted, not an entire install, as to hov it interfered i don`t know, just read somwhere, that it could cause issues.

As to how and why this happened, you guys probably know it a lot better than me.

But anyway it worked

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone!
    New forum, heh?
    Looks refreshed

I now have Win7 64 system.
    Just dropped the whole W8 folder from my old WinXP laptop onto Win7 64 and it works straight away (no-cd exe).
    Injection works fine too - no special administrator rights are required or any other changes.
    Only Avast was cautious about them but I told it to shut up.

I have GeForce GTX 570, DirectX 11.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi madgod

Nice seeing you here, glad you made it. Did not get any news yet on the moderator job. This seems to take a while .. or soo. Anyway if you have "SOMETHING" new just create a new thread. Will finetune it if I get the chance (if it is needed).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Wiz 8 Lives? What Kinda Craziness Is This?

I don't think Wiz 8 plays nice with newer ATI cards and Windows 7. I have a HD5870, running Windows 7 64. Of the 3 modes available, I need to run the game in DirectX 6 mode.

OpenGL runs -great-, the black line texture fix works perfectly, Control - F12 window mode doesn't throw Windows into the Basic Theme. It's all good. But there's also odd texture bleed-through and warping, and keyboard controls stop responding randomly and frequently. I've found others with this issue, but no solutions. DirectX 7 runs alright with a bit of mouse-input lag. The keyboard works all the time, but the game crashes immediately in window mode.

DirectX 6 is the only mode that works for me in both fullscreen and in a window, but the game and mouse input aren't as smooth as OpenGL, and it throws Windows into the Basic Theme when using window mode. (at least it doesn't crash.))

I blame the card, honestly. I think ATI's W7 64 drivers just aren't all that great. Any posts I've found on other boards relating to this game and it's video issues are usually started by some poor fool with an ATI card like myself. A friend of mine has recently started playing Wizardry 8 again as well, and his nVidia GTX570 works fine. He's happily playing using OpenGL+fix with no issues whatsoever on the same OS.

We also both seem to be having an issue where Alt-Tabbing in and out of the game disables keyboard input until the game is completely restarted.

Bleh. Enough ranting about the flaky video. It's playable. Thank you guys for setting up this new forum. I've owned Wizardry 8 for years but never actually finished it. It was too hard, and I refused to put the game on "easy" -- because I'm an RPG player, and I don't play my RPG's on easy, damnit! I didn't know enough about the Wizardry series and how the stats worked for each class, and I ended up with a gimpy party that couldn't survive. I've learned things since then -- like I've learned that rolling outta the gate with a Lord, Samurai, Ninja, Gadgeteer, Bishop, and Bishop on your first playthrough with no series experience is a bad idea.

Currently L14 with the drastically-less-ridiculous party of a Valkyrie, Samurai, Bard, Ranger, Mage, and Priest. I'm well on my way to finally beating this thing for the first time. It's nice to have a resource that still exists for niche games like this, so thank you all again for attempting to compile all this stuff into one place. (Thanks especially to wiz8dragonman on the GameFAQs boards for linking me here.)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sindred, have a good read on Flamestrykes website, that should put u right

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Level 14 is just around the time you'll start to dominate the game. Enjoy it!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"14"
    far beyond whats required to end vanilla

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you alt-tab out and then back in. If the keyboard doesn't respond, try hitting the alt key twice. It works on mine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some info regarding W7+ Wiz8 from VN threads,

The following is meant to appear as is,
    else it might be counterproductive against the intended full import of all VN Wiz8 boards threads;)

tyler.listening
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Dec '11 Date Posted: 12/12/11 11:31am Subject: Alt Tab cancels out keyboard commands
    Hello Everyone,

Small Wizardry 8 problem here.

I've been trying to play on a new computer I had given to me (about 2 years old). It runs Win 7, no dedicated video memory, dual core, 3 GB of Ram, pretty basic. The game runs fine, up until I need to alt-tab over to the desktop to check something. When I return to the game, the keyboard no longer responds.

Has anyone else run across something like this?

- T
    Nomad1970
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Mar '02 Date Posted: 12/12/11 5:48pm Subject: Alt Tab cancels out keyboard commands
    Yes, hit the 'ALT' key twice and things should return to normal.
    DraconFighter
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Aug '03 Date Posted: 9/12/11 3:52am Subject: Wizardy 8 and Win 7 64 bit
    I'll assume you tried going back to the arrow keys.

I had endless trouble after installing Wiz 8 on my 64 bit Windows 7. It wasn't until I copied Wiz 8 from my old machine (as opposed to installing from the discs) that I got it to work. Do you have an old machine you could copy from?

My daughter has 32 bit Windows 7 and has had no problems.
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Oct '05 Date Posted: 12/26/11 8:20am Subject: Problems Running Wizardry 8 - Date Edited: 12/26/11 8:21am (2 edits total) Edited By: Avatar_Robert
    Problem: Whenever I run Wizardry 8, It brings me to the company logo and the screen after just fine. then Wizardry 8 just dies off and I'm back to my desktop and the game stops running. No error message or nothing.

Post Reply | Quote Reply | Active Topic Notification | Private Message | Post History
    Nomad1970
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Mar '02 Date Posted: 12/26/11 5:42pm Subject: Problems Running Wizardry 8
    Make sure you did not install the game in the Programs directory. Right click on the desktop icon, click on the compatibility tab and select Windows XP service pack 3. Check the box to run as administrator. That should be enough, if not, let me know and we can try some other ideas. I run the program in Windows 7 64-bit with no problems.

DraconFighter
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Aug '03 Date Posted: 9/12/11 3:52am Subject: Wizardy 8 and Win 7 64 bit
    I'll assume you tried going back to the arrow keys.

I had endless trouble after installing Wiz 8 on my 64 bit Windows 7. It wasn't until I copied Wiz 8 from my old machine (as opposed to installing from the discs) that I got it to work. Do you have an old machine you could copy from?

My daughter has 32 bit Windows 7 and has had no problems.
    Nomad1970
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Mar '02 Date Posted: 9/13/11 5:36am Subject: Wizardy 8 and Win 7 64 bit
    I have mine installed on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine and it works with no problems. I installed it from my original disks.

CDN_Merlin2
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Oct '06 Date Posted: 9/14/11 2:17pm Subject: Wizardy 8 and Win 7 64 bit
    I figured it out. What the problem was this, I started a game and was in the drop zone. I would be able to move 2 feet and then the game would not register any more movement. No monsters around.

So I decided to put the shortcut in WIN XP SP34 compatibility mode and voila, all works great.

Now, if only my ex would return my signed copy(Developers) of the guide to me. :-(

JasmoVT
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Nov '11 Date Posted: 11/8/11 10:02am Subject: Wizardy 8 and Win 7 64 bit
    i had that problem when running in OpenGL even with the OpenGL patch. I switched to DX7 and it ran fine.

Post Re
    dbouya
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Aug '08 Date Posted: 3/14 4:39am Subject: Wizardy 8 and Win 7 64 bit - Date Edited: 3/14 5:35am (1 edits total) Edited By: dbouya
    whoops my installation errors were disc errors, solved by washing it

ashara333
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Dec '08 Date Posted: 11/29/10 3:08pm Subject: frozen cursor - bad disk?
    Hi all:
    It's been a while since I've had the time to play.
    I decided it was a good post thanksgiving presenrt to myself, but when I went to start the game up, and I started with a saved game, it loaded slowly and the screen from my saved game came up, but the cursor was frozen. It showed on the screen, but wouldn't move. I also tried moving the party with the arrows, but no movement or change in view.
    I've wiped it out, yes totally out since there are always hidden bits, defragged, and reloaded, but still the same thing.
    Any ideas of what the problem may be?
    I run it on Vista, yech, but was doing so before with no issues using the windows 98 program compatability mode.
    The computor seems to do everything else I want it to.
    Could it be that my disk 3 finally got fried?
    If I have to, I can get another set of disks on Ebay, but would prefer not to run up the bills at this time of year.
    Thanks for any suggestions.......

Locked Topic | Active Topic Notification | Private Message | Post History
    Snafaru1
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Feb '09 Date Posted: 11/29/10 7:07pm Subject: frozen cursor - bad disk? - Date Edited: 11/29/10 7:12pm (3 edits total) Edited By: Snafaru1
    Try pressing the CTRL twice in a row... like double-clicking it, tap-tap. This gets my keyboard going again when its frozen in Wizardry. I use the left-side CTRL key to do this.

As for the mouse, try a different usb port, or CTRL-ESC to Windows, disconnect then reconnect the mouse (if it is a usb mouse and not a ps/2 mouse), then switch back to Wizardry.

Also, right-click and edit the properties of the icon that starts Wizardry and choose Windows 98 compatibility mode and disable any gimmicks like visual themes.

Snafaru

ashara333
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Dec '08 Date Posted: 12/2/10 4:52am Subject: frozen cursor - bad disk?
    Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing worked. It does everything until you get to the actual game screen and then freezes.
    Time for a new disk I think.

ashara333
    collection | wishlist
    Registered: Dec '08 Date Posted: 12/2/10 2:11pm Subject: frozen cursor - bad disk?
    I'm kicking myself, lol. Turns out a Microsoft download messed up my graphics driver, but there was no other sign of it other than the Wizardry freezing issue. I shoulda double checked before asking.
    Sorry about that.......

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zauria View Post
    Integrated Video cards share resources and slows the system, dedicated cards carry their own and add to the system.
    I would suggest looking for a Nvidia card that's in your price range, don't have to get a great one. Mine have been mid ranged and just over $100.
    What in the world are you thinking? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Even if the video card from ATI is causing an issue with this one game, overall ATI is a solid graphics platform. You have no basis for what you are suggesting which is for someone to buy a new videocard because you randomly suggest ATI is bad. ATI video cards surpass Nvidia in as many ways as Nvidia does in the opposite. I have 3 different machines, 2 with the highest end ATI cards and one with Nvidia cards. Care to guess which one I have an issue with running Wiz 8 reforged mod? The Nvidia computer is having issues running it. Would your suggestion be to toss it and buy a new video card? Why would you tell someone to spend money based on your musings on a subject you very obviously have no clue about? This is completely irresponsible. Sorry to sound so harsh but really don't suggest folks spend money when you have no idea what you are talking about mate.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mgrateful View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zauria View Post
    What in the world are you thinking? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Even if the video card from ATI is causing an issue with this one game, overall ATI is a solid graphics platform. You have no basis for what you are suggesting which is for someone to buy a new videocard because you randomly suggest ATI is bad. ATI video cards surpass Nvidia in as many ways as Nvidia does in the opposite. I have 3 different machines, 2 with the highest end ATI cards and one with Nvidia cards. Care to guess which one I have an issue with running Wiz 8 reforged mod? The Nvidia computer is having issues running it. Would your suggestion be to toss it and buy a new video card? Why would you tell someone to spend money based on your musings on a subject you very obviously have no clue about? This is completely irresponsible. Sorry to sound so harsh but really don't suggest folks spend money when you have no idea what you are talking about mate.
    `
    Did you read the post you quoted. He said nothing about an ATI card, but he did talk about Integrated Graphics, which are not very good.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, thanks Nomad !
    Guess he needid an excuse to do a rant

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys, hoping people still look at this forum. Same as others in this post: Wizardry 8 has suddenly stopped working completely. I've played it off & on over many years on this PC, with the same installation, most recently some time this year (2016). After <can't remember> months of not playing, I went back to fire it up again recently, and the game completely failed to load. Like, no black screen, no attempt to change the display, simply about a half-second of the blue spinning circle around the cursor after double-clicking the .exe, and then nothing. Event Viewer doesn't even log an event upon attempting to run the programme, let alone an error to try to unpick. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit with a Geforce GTX 570 GPU. Not sure about sound card (or if I have one apart from onboard sound) but Device Manager shows Nvidia HIgh Definition Audio, Realtek High Definition Audio and NVidia Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM).

Non-exhaustive list of things I've tried, all of which have the same result:

Running in admin mode

Running directly from the .exe file in the installation path

Uninstalling and re-installing directly from the CDs

Moving the entire Wiz 8 directory to the root C:\ drive (apparently this helped with some Steam installations)

Experimenting with every combination of 3D/sound config in 3DSetup.exe, and compatibility modes in the Wiz8.exe file itself

Turning off antivirus, firewalls, Software Protection service, User Account Control

Running the .exe from the (admin mode) command prompt

Going back to a GPU driver that I know worked last time I played it

A bunch of other fixes suggested on various forums such as disabling XYZ file (renaming to .old) etc

None of these can get even the slightest twinge out of the programme. This is with a fresh install straight off the CDs, to a machine I've played it on for years, with no hardware changes, using exactly the same combination of 3D/sound config and compatibility modes that I've successfully played it on for years. The only thing which got the slightest reaction was ticking some of the settings in compatibility mode: run in 256 colours, run in 640 x 480 screen resolution etc (I never used these when it was working previously). That earned me a black screen as it tried to at least change the display upon launch, sometimes with a change back to the desktop with the reduced resolution settings, before it failed and went back to normal display. What this tells me at the very least is that the PC is registering that you have tried to execute the programme - the first process that must run is changing the display, but beyond whatever the second is, it's not happening.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that there has been a Windows update which is somehow screwing with it - unless something on the CDs has spontaneously corrupted, it's the only reason a completely fresh install suddenly won't work on a machine that has worked previously (and even then, that wouldn't explain why the files already installed on the PC suddenly also failed). But without knowing which update (I can't remember exactly how long ago I played it so it could be any time in the past 4-5 months), I don't want to go peeling back every Windows update until the game works (which may still not fix it).

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good morning!

I just checked a couple of different versions of Wizardry I had handy on my new(er) Win7 laptop, and both launched without a hitch. Before I tested, I made sure that ALL the Windoze "critical updates" were installed. SO, while it may still be an update issue, it doesn't appear to be one that affects all systems. I'd suspect a video driver issue, but it looks like you already tested for that.

Rochndil, who still needs to finish several in-progress games...
    Nobody tells me anything...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rochndil View Post
    Good morning!

I just checked a couple of different versions of Wizardry I had handy on my new(er) Win7 laptop, and both launched without a hitch. Before I tested, I made sure that ALL the Windoze "critical updates" were installed. SO, while it may still be an update issue, it doesn't appear to be one that affects all systems. I'd suspect a video driver issue, but it looks like you already tested for that.

Rochndil, who still needs to finish several in-progress games...
    It definitely smells like a driver issue, but the current driver doesn't work, & I've rolled back to one I know definitely worked, which also doesn't work. It's driving me mad 😡

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check windows update and see if you have update KB3086255 installed. If you do, you will need to remove it and never again install it. It breaks older games like Wiz 8.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Check windows update and see if you have update KB3086255 installed. If you do, you will need to remove it and never again install it. It breaks older games like Wiz 8.
    BOOOOOOOOOM! This did the trick. Thanks so much man - was driving me completely spare