Thread: DAoC Quality of Life Improvements

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DAoC Quality of Life Improvements

A cut down version of what was posted 6 months ago on my blog - http://etaew.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/daoc-convenience/

Just would like some feedback from regular players about what they feel are the most important non game-changing features of DAoC are to improve your quality of life whilst playing.

• Increase the range at which you can see names (npcs and players)
    • Improve the organisation and information displayed on the crafting recipe window
    • Consolidate the messages in the chat log (e.g. 5+ lines for one mob kill xp gain)
    • Have a floating text window for /say (useful for npc interactions)
    • Improve the journal to be more in line with modern MMOs
    • Improve the organisation of the default UIs main buttons (inventory/spells) and include things like Guild
    • Have a battlegroup unit frame, listing members and clickable names for healing
    • Display battlegroup leaders position on the minimap
    • Houses are limited to one per account, ownership status is granted to all characters automatically.
    • Purchase items off any Ywain server from the Market Explorer
    • Introduce lot finding mechanics
    • Remove the step of handing back an item to buffers and stable masters, purchasing an item automatically uses it
    • Have a way to see if an emblem is already taken (or dont display taken emblems)
    • Standardise NPC guild names (Channeler, Hastener etc)
    • Have an option to always display newest spells (useful for list casters when leveling)
    • Have pet configuration saved between sessions
    • Have items directly clickable from the quickbar
    • Allow potions to be used when in attack state (instead of turning off auto attack, waiting a second and then using)
    • Improve the ground targeting mechanic
    • Allow summoning of mounts in capital cities
    • Allow summoning of mounts even when in "combat" (timer)
    • Allow quest hub channelers to teleport to the capital city, primary border keep and your personal house.
    • Stable masters should automatically dismount you from your horse when handing them a ticket
    • Zoomed in maps for major areas such as keeps, towers, border keeps and most importantly new user journey quest hubs (detailed maps as seen in tutorial)
    • Have a visual indicator for zone points (instead of running into a wall out of nowhere)
    • Remove the /bind command and have bindstones interactable to set bind
    • Right-click last name NPC pops up a textbox to set the last name
    • Social button for looking for guild
    • Display the progress towards each faction stage
    • Display what characters you have on each server (or even just a count)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Etaew View Post
    Have a battlegroup unit frame, listing members and clickable names for healing
    lolwut

your mom liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kali- View Post
    lolwut
    This is a standard feature in most newer MMOs. There is a heavy focus on groups in DAoC, battlegroups act as a chat channel and sharing of some credit. It could be expanded, think of the mini group windows, just have that small list multiplied by a few rows depending on battlegroup limits.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of these have been implimented i believe. But would like the bg leader loc .

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like it would encourage even more zerging

your mom liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of them just seem like lazy people are... lazy. How hard is is to dismount before purhcasing a stable ticket? Or handing it in to the npc?...

XP on multiple lines is GOOD. I wouldn't want that consolidated at all. Breaks out what you're getting xp from, artis, mob, camp bonus, etc.

Only thing I wouldn't mind from what was listed above was being able to purchase through any way through the market explorer. That takes zoning, retyping into the ME, and then refinding the item... quite annoying.
    Lord Faramire 11L7 Cleric - Lone Enforcer- Retired Solo
    F a L l 3 N S o L d i 3 r Z
    Solo Vids, Part 1 & 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbbuhiH7JXM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwOn_y8_Oyo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Faramire View Post
    Only thing I wouldn't mind from what was listed above was being able to purchase through any way through the market explorer. That takes zoning, retyping into the ME, and then refinding the item... quite annoying.
    Could you not consider that a lazy persons request?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can think of a few quality of life improvements

Nerf warlock chambers to do 30-40% less damage for the spell stored in them + increase the reuse timer

Ban Annamariede from the game to get rid of this obvious mid domination (100-200 mids on stick almost everytime Annamariede logs in and no alb/hib bg's during the week to even come close to those numbers thus its destroying RvR/Ports for most - boat rides are super boring)

Reduce FZ timer to 4-5 seconds and make it give immunity for 20+ seconds afterwards

Make archers do even less damage when assisting the same target

Give rangers PD back or at very least make the evasion buff last alot longer/have a lower cooldown

Change Skalds RR5 to something more balanced

Give more tanks/hybrids climb walls to help deal with the mass of casters that always sit up top humping walls during keep defense (excluding Valks, Zerkers, Savages, Reavers)

Remove DD poison completely - no more nerfs just get rid of it

Restrict spellpiercing so it can't be used by the following:

Nightshades
    Shadowblades
    Infiltrators

Give all casters (excluding warlocks) the same speed buff, people just use speed of the hunt anyway when alone, may aswell just give them all speed and have done with it

Give ML10 items a super low chance to drop from the harder of the 2 Afrit encounters, talking super super low chance but a chance none the less

Give Maulers access to charge

Update Llyn Barfog, Raumarik and Cursed Forest named monsters, its a shame to let the zones goto waste (this is something that should have been done ages ago)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BloodOmen View Post
    Those are balance changes and change game mechanics that isn't in the scope for the quality of life discussion

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are balance changes and change game mechanics that isn't in the scope for the quality of life discussion

Ok

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Nualaan

oof

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: punk...get it? Steam-punk

A cut down version of what was posted 6 months ago on my blog - http://etaew.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/daoc-convenience/

Just would like some feedback from regular players about what they feel are the most important non game-changing features of DAoC are to improve your quality of life whilst playing.

• Improve the organisation and information displayed on the crafting recipe window
    • Consolidate the messages in the chat log (e.g. 5+ lines for one mob kill xp gain) (have it toggle /on /off)
    • Have a floating text window for /say (useful for npc interactions)
    • Improve the journal to be more in line with modern MMOs
    • Improve the organisation of the default UIs main buttons (inventory/spells) and include things like Guild
    • Have a battlegroup unit frame, listing members and clickable names for healing
    • Display battlegroup leaders position on the minimap (names of groupmates in general would be nice)
    • Houses are limited to one per account, ownership status is granted to all characters automatically.(one per account per realm? isnt that what it is?)
    • Purchase items off any Ywain server from the Market Explorer
    • Introduce lot finding mechanics
    • Remove the step of handing back an item to buffers and stable masters, purchasing an item automatically uses it
    • Have a way to see if an emblem is already taken (or dont display taken emblems)
    • Standardise NPC guild names (Channeler, Hastener etc)
    • Have an option to always display newest spells (useful for list casters when leveling)
    • Have pet configuration saved between sessions
    • Have items directly clickable from the quickbar
    • Allow potions to be used when in attack state (instead of turning off auto attack, waiting a second and then using)
    • Improve the ground targeting mechanic (super yes)
    • Allow summoning of mounts in capital cities
    • Allow quest hub channelers to teleport to the capital city, primary border keep and your personal house.
    • Stable masters should automatically dismount you from your horse when handing them a ticket
    • Zoomed in maps for major areas such as keeps, towers, border keeps and most importantly new user journey quest hubs (detailed maps as seen in tutorial)
    • Have a visual indicator for zone points (instead of running into a wall out of nowhere)
    • Right-click last name NPC pops up a textbox to set the last name
    • Social button for looking for guild
    • Display the progress towards each faction stage (nice to have, yes)
    • Display what characters you have on each server (or even just a count)
    I agree with everything on here
    New Video: The Vlogsmith Episode 4!

Like My film Company on FaceBook! Videoactive
    Look for video shorts coming out soon! :]
    The Vlogsmith is live! |Ep. 1|Ep. 2|Ep. 3|Ep.4(beta)|
    Owner/Actor/Producer at Videoactive: (twitter)@Videoactive_ Follow me on twitter: @GilTheVlogsmith
    i'm a MMO-FO... ༼;༎ຶ ۝ ༎ຶ༽

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: Dacianus

Nerf warlock chambers to do 30-40% less damage for the spell stored in them + increase the reuse timer

Ban Annamariede from the game to get rid of this obvious mid domination (100-200 mids on stick almost everytime Annamariede logs in and no alb/hib bg's during the week to even come close to those numbers thus its destroying RvR/Ports for most - boat rides are super boring)

Reduce FZ timer to 4-5 seconds and make it give immunity for 20+ seconds afterwards

Give rangers PD back or at very least make the evasion buff last alot longer/have a lower cooldown

Give more tanks/hybrids climb walls to help deal with the mass of casters that always sit up top humping walls during keep defense (excluding Valks, Zerkers, Savages, Reavers)

Nightshades
    Shadowblades
    Infiltrators

Give all casters (excluding warlocks) the same speed buff, people just use speed of the hunt anyway when alone, may aswell just give them all speed and have done with it

Give ML10 items a super low chance to drop from the harder of the 2 Afrit encounters, talking super super low chance but a chance none the less

Update Llyn Barfog, Raumarik and Cursed Forest named monsters, its a shame to let the zones goto waste (this is something that should have been done ages ago)
    if i read well you want all classes apart casters to be nerfed, most of the casters do have more dmg than scouts , rangers , hunters and assasin classes, they dont need nerf? assist on casters dont need nerf? assist on visi?
    Dacthescout-9L6
    Fotmofthemoment-6L2
    Etc... 8Lxx
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB2_WdYVCZc

My other mount is a beibhinn. smakadop's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: craknsmak

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris View Post

Nightshades
    Shadowblades
    Infiltrators

if i read well you want all classes apart casters to be nerfed, most of the casters do have more dmg than scouts , rangers , hunters and assasin classes, they dont need nerf? assist on casters dont need nerf? assist on visi?
    They're also visible, squishy, don't have access to soj, and have no ability to melee.
    Crap, I think I dun been trolled.
    [Hib - Caligon-Smakavhel-Smakavelicus-Smikadep-Terrif -And everything else under the sun]
    [Mid - Smakavel-Smakavelthius-Smakadopolis-Danobe]
    [Alb - I don't remember (lol) Bunch of 50s named Smakasomething.] -Not Smakish

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris View Post

Nightshades
    Shadowblades
    Infiltrators

You read wrong then I believe. Nowhere in there does it mention all class nerfs, warlock nerfs, ranger buffs and archer nerfs in general.. not quite sure where you got "all classes" from

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do away with respecs entirely. Go to a trainer to adjust your skills and abilities anytime.
    Use my horse as the taxi horse. No dismount required. Leave me mounted at the destination.
    Separate heal/buff and attack targets.
    Target of my target.
    Mark waypoints etc on compass.
    Buy/quest other realm's houses.
    Allow all summoning in housing and city zones.

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lolwut
    This is a standard feature in most newer MMOs. There is a heavy focus on groups in DAoC, battlegroups act as a chat channel and sharing of some credit. It could be expanded, think of the mini group windows, just have that small list multiplied by a few rows depending on battlegroup limits.
    Those BG's in newer MMO's are limited to usually 32ish players though. Or whatever the size of 4 groups is.
    Devaster
    Shadow Syndicate [-S-]
    Chesapeake - Ultima Online
    Templates
    Loki Item Database
    Bob's UI Updates for 1.115 and 1.115B

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Devaster-S- View Post
    lolwut
    Those BG's in newer MMO's are limited to usually 32ish players though. Or whatever the size of 4 groups is.
    there should be a trade off between the number of people in a party and the difficulty of coordinating their actions

having groups within a bg cross-healing each-other would be slightly ridiculous

your mom liked this post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Devaster-S- View Post
    8 groups I think is max in WAR, and yeah I think there should be limits.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

having groups within a bg cross-healing each-other would be slightly ridiculous
    True, this would add advantage to the healers, although this seems balanced out in the other MMOs (I am thinking of WAR). WAR goes a step further and allows health bars to be displayed above every player, so you could see if they need healing just by looking around you. DAoC will always lack this, the proposed mini BG group window would allow some healing, but this is single target only. Group spells would have no effect.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Calidin

I'm against making BG's more "friendly" for zergers just because that's not what I like to do. Some of the other changes would be nice, but I don't think they're necessarily needed.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A great list, mostly I agree except where noted.

I would like to see it as an option but not mandatory.

The UI needs an overhaul. Most of the features in custom UIs need to be added as optional to the standard UI.

• Houses are limited to one per account, ownership status is granted to all characters automatically.

One per account would eliminate a guild leader owning both a guild home and a personal home. I agree with full ownership status being granted to all the characters of an account, but I am not sure that it can be done with the way Mythic has locked themselves into the existing design of the databases.

Perhaps but I am leaning toward no. This could require extensive changes to many combat systems.

I do not see the need to remove slash commands but I would agree with any suggestion where almost all slash commands should have an easy to use and intuitive UI

I would add
    • Weapon icon changes color when poison is applied to the weapon
    • Guild leaders need better tools for managing the guild
    • Guild vaults need a log of activity
    • Higher tier homes need more utility.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mouse should control going up/down in water. $#@! using keys for that.
    Xaeraphus - Barun Valehooker.
    Necrophilia is a victim-less crime.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Semi4 View Post

Perhaps but I am leaning toward no. This could require extensive changes to many combat systems.
    Clarification, I would have the horse be summonable, but not apply a speed effect until out of combat, this is the way it works in current pve passive speed boost and speed boost spells and shouldn't require a radical change.

Generally I am against the denial of a service when it doesnt meet restrictions, I don't like spamming my horse until the combat message goes away also example of the login timer forcing you to quit the game

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make it less viable to stealth group... more viable to run zergs/8s

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vegamite View Post
    Make it less viable to stealth group... more viable to run zergs/8s
    Again that is a balance and game changing mechanic not "cosmetic", so let's keep the thread on that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a few good ideas here, some are kinda weird.

My issue is always the same when someone posts a wishlist like this.....
    What will they break if they start rearranging old code?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    some are kinda weird.
    That's me!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Faramire View Post
    Could you not consider that a lazy persons request?
    Well, that's just much more time consuming than the other requests. handing in tickets after purchasing = 1second at most. Whereas, typing in the ME, hitting search, finding what you want, and then zoning, and repeating the same thing... much more than 1 second there.
    Lord Faramire 11L7 Cleric - Lone Enforcer- Retired Solo
    F a L l 3 N S o L d i 3 r Z
    Solo Vids, Part 1 & 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbbuhiH7JXM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwOn_y8_Oyo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Quadruple (at least) all storage space. This may include a "potion bag" to hold potions, "jewel bag" to hold SC items, etc.
    2. See #1.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Semi4 View Post

Clarification, I would have the horse be summonable, but not apply a speed effect until out of combat, this is the way it works in current pve passive speed boost and speed boost spells and shouldn't require a radical change.

Generally I am against the denial of a service when it doesnt meet restrictions, I don't like spamming my horse until the combat message goes away also example of the login timer forcing you to quit the game
    This majorly and some others are serious game balance changes. The ramifications this would cause in an 8v8 would be huge. Zerk chasing an eld who suddenly mounts up and out of combat out runs him. No. This is bad. UI changes only.

To further clarify; during an 8v8 you are constantly dipping in and out of combat. I really can't stress enough how this is a balance change. Even ui changes affect game balance. Must be careful with things like this...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, battlegroup windows may be a good thing. cap it at 3 or 4 groups maybe. finally retard Billings says "SORRY, ZERG FULL MANG, FUK OFF"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

remove resurrection sickness from every facet of the game. can still keep recently killed players from being worth to combat RP farming

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure that increasing the range on visibility of names is necessary; it might add extra clutter to the game screen, and a bit more lag for some players.

The battlegroup window would tinker with the "8 people is a group" paradigm, and the game has always been balanced heavily towards 8 people in a group (i.e. 3 support, utility spread among 8 people etc.). Doesn't necessarily make the change a bad one, but I'm not sure what the impact would be on regular groups (e.g. running 10 or 12 people might be preferable/convenient).

Potions are designed to work that way as a trade-off (i.e. tanks have to stop attacking to heal themselves). Right now popping heal and power pots is a thing you occasionally do when it's convenient (since breaking combat isn't necessarily desirable). If that restriction was removed then players would tend to/find it necessary to pop potions almost every time the timer is up.

There are custom maps available for many zones ("Overview" option); I use one that comes with Bob's UI (Valmerwolf, I think). (This would still be a good addition to the default UI OFC).

I like most of the other suggestions.
    Tvr | Tvj | Tetra - Videos - Nambla | Ispini | Jump

My Gimpchimp | My Ratstat
    Nostalgia Video of the Week: [1] [2] [3]
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No to combat timer changes.

Entering into stealth right out of combat would be outrageous.
    Ditto for gulping potions.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    No to combat timer changes.

Entering into stealth right out of combat would be outrageous.
    Was mentioned nowhere

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kujii View Post
    To further clarify; during an 8v8 you are constantly dipping in and out of combat. I really can't stress enough how this is a balance change. Even ui changes affect game balance. Must be careful with things like this...
    You could compare this to a caster running caster speed constantly, does this really have a chance to take hold when dipping in and out of combat and affects fights?

Plus I would be happy to just have this in PvE.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kujii View Post
    You could compare this to a caster running caster speed constantly, does this really have a chance to take hold when dipping in and out of combat and affects fights?

Plus I would be happy to just have this in PvE.
    Speed can kick in and out and it's a huge influence when it happens. one realm may or may not have speed, be out of range of their friend with speed up, or one realm may or may not be in a speed warp, etc. it's a big change, keep it for pve only xD

Also, can't you heal on a mount? I don't even know, but I'm pretty sure unless you're hit with a spell/attack you can heal mounted.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wtb "sprint always on" option

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: oRuin Steam ID: oRuin

Quote Originally Posted by poenadare View Post
    wtb "sprint always on" option
    +1

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MOONxPIE

for those of us with lesser quality computers, how about an option when we choose the character models of "all hib races", "all mid races", "all alb races", and male/female