Thread: I need to pick a toon......help me plz

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I need to pick a toon......help me plz

I have 4 lvl50 toons, playing all 4 diminishes my gains in realm rank. I need to pick one and stick with it so that few rps I get will go to the same toon. I solo about 50% of time small man and duo about 35% and 8 man the rest. so for that playstyle which toon would be that best as a main.
    rr7L4 zerk
    rr5L1 warrior
    rr4L2 savage(2hand)
    rr2L3 mauler

as well as 49 rr4L9 skald that is like 4k rps from capping cathal who will be in the running soon.

Info thus far, is none of them can bet a half way decent reaver, paladin, or necro, Zerk is the Highest rr but seems to perform poorly solo, he does the best against heavy tanks of the rest of my toons which is basically his only strong point he but sucks vs assassins, the warrior is good vs assassins but can't beat anything with heals or decent defense. the savage is ok vs assassins but can't hit any thing with defense. I have yet notice anything positive about the mauler. The skald does very well in CV against about anything but I know this really has no bearing on NF. Some of these results I am sure are a result of my limited skill as a player, I am working on becoming more skilled at this game but right know I am a bit short I am afraid.

So for this style of play and somewhat limited player skill which toon would be the best to focus on

thanks in advance
    Malle
    Malle rr7L3 Zerk
    Skyrkar rr4L6 Warrior
    Mannowarr molviktoon Zerk

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

zerk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive also started up recently, and im in the same boat as the OP.

I just cant decide on what melee to play. Right now im thinking Troll Warrior.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest skald!
    Its a nice solo Char. Possible to beat Anything.. If your skilled

For Small Men also nice and Must...especially with New Patch.

Also you can avoid get zerged with Speed.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Havn't really looked into the changes yet, but mauler is getting some love next patch

Skald has allways been a solid class for any kind of roaming solo/group play. In fact they are one of the strongest solo classes in the right hands.
    Light tanks are still the $#@! in groups aswell as very capable soloers. Although any non-stealth/speed class will have issues soloing these days :/
    Formerly Slajzer @ VN - never liked that name

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAULER MAULER MAULER MAULER MAULER MAULER MAULER!!!

I just started playing one and it SUCKS. Don't get me wrong, if my leggies proc I can 4 shot light tanks, but at the end of the day my damage is dependent on procs, which is just one more way for the RNG to screw you in a fight. Also, lack of gap closing abilities REALLY hurts when you have 0 ranged interrupts (I'm CL0). Once the patch goes live and they can have a variety of spec options and a taunt that interrupts, they're gonna be ripper.

Let me just reiterate, the damage on a target that actually stands and fights you is INSANE, but half the classes in the game will just keep you at range, and the other half have charge to wilson if they're getting ript.
    Boxy Brown

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right out of the box, a h2h savage is probably the strongest of the bunch vs multiples, a zerk-just want to take 1 out,zerk rr5 and vendo, 1 guys going down, but you will too. Skald solid all over, really really dependant on a good temp, moreso (other than maulers) than others if you want to solo.

Maulers- Most will tell you to live and die by the leges, honestly the toughest mauler I ever fought 1on1 didn't use them. You beat things by attrittion as a mauler, lasting until you can really start messing with people with your fumbles and debuffs. Sadly the melee damage for a mauler isn't really great, and with the low defense, I would say a solo and a smallman/group maulers are 2 totally different animals to temp/playstyle for, with the least degree of margin for error.

enemies- savage/zer- can take out all the those listed, a zerk can especially give reavers fits where not many classes can. Surprisingly, its the skalds that really give Paladins a rough time, but don't expect to win that reaver without earning it 10x over, they are born skald killers. Mauler, get used to landing that sidestun, your going to need it every fight, and.. until the patch , the odds are favoring your enemy if your solo almost every fight.

If I was to build a character simply to solo, I think it would be a valk. If only from those listed guess it would go:
    1.savage-crazy defense and dps
    2. skald- highest floor for performance- pick your fights and speed
    3. zerk - I love Zerks, so this pains me, but lack of speed and and the savages ability to deal with multiples puts it here.
    4. mauler- your different, patient, and skilled, or will be...or it will be a short adventure to another class.
    Andraes Bloodthorn
    50 Merc
    Bruhno BoobSnuggler
    50 Skald

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much covered it all above. Personally love my skald. Can fight pretty much anything, tons of toys, and speed. Has so much versatality whether fight in enemy territory or running around alb as they defend one keep. Can play any situation. I find my zerk and savage I feel restricted. Either coast guard or you boat around and kill someone and die immediately . Die way less on my skald

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will agree with Xarack above, once you've played a skald for a significant amount of time, playing a non speed class afterwards feels very restrictive.
    Andraes Bloodthorn
    50 Merc
    Bruhno BoobSnuggler
    50 Skald

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to thanks everyone for their feedback on my question. I noticed that no one mentioned the Warrior, are they just bad for this style of play or something? Once I get the skald capped in CV and in a lvl50 temp I will give him a try. I feel somewhat torn when it comes to the zerk, because he is my oldest and highest rr toon but he just sucks compared to the savage (with the exception of vs Heavy tanks which I can only assume is because his weapon skill is higher) but just abandoning him seems wrong. But the truth of the matter is when I solo or small man I am going to be fighting 1 or more assassins or archers and maybe a minstrel the standard stealth group coward trash about 60% or the time, so which ever toon it is needs to be strong vs assassins and archers or I am just wasting my time. The mauler seems like you are just leave to much to chance with procs and dds hitting twice in a row to get off PS vs MoB 9 tanks and capped evade assassins that have debuffed you and then if you do the dd can still be resisted. The savage is the up and comer from my prospective the only real weakness I have is against heavy tanks which I have a hard time hitting and sometimes against viper 5 exploiters. basically I need to find tactics or gear to make zerk better vs assassins and archers or someway for the that savage to hit tanks.

thanks
    malle
    Malle rr7L3 Zerk
    Skyrkar rr4L6 Warrior

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charge 4-5 and vendo form on archers

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update- I capped the skald in CV and level him to 50 and temped him. It seems that my skald can't kill anything solo except casters but he does rather well when I group or small man. everything else is still pretty much unchanged savage is good vs assassins but not so good vs anything with a shield. I haven't played the warrior much so nothing new there. The mauler is still waste of a slot. The is the worst part is the zerk he still looses 1v1 vs assassins 1/2 his realm rank, I almost stripped him and delete him I was so frustrated today. I don't know what I can do to make him better vs assassins his temp is really good and I believe I a play him well. I just don't see how a rr7 light tank can lose to rr3 and 4 assassins on the regular, if geared and played. somewhat close to even. I have to be doing something wrong is all I can think of, or this game is even more $#@!ed up that I already knew it was.

thanks
    malle
    Malle rr7L3 Zerk
    Skyrkar rr4L6 Warrior

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make sure using heat leggy's/sok, but in reality until patch goes live, assassins have been ripping all classes for a while now, so don't feel too terrible.

On the skald, it's going to be a completely different playstyle than the other melees to really be effective. It sounds like you are going toe to toe vs. melee, in reality you need to outlast most classes. Open with disease, dd's, some melee, mezz after you drop some health and just after you fire off another round of dd's. Regen up and wait for DDs to come back up, CL debuff and reapply disease or get stun chain off, rinse and repeat with snare, rinse and repeat with mezz, rinse and repeat with sos, rinse and repeat with rr5, so on and so on.