Thread: Total Conversion?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Total Conversion?

Well, after seeing all the new stuff possible with the Cosmic Forge editor, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a total conversion.

I've always loved the interface and mechanics in this game, as well as the setting, so I was thinking of starting on a sort of techno-fantasy setting, with a pronounced Wild West flair to it. More modern weapons present, but plenty of room for all the other combat styles, too.

For building it, I estimate that setting up the maps/levels would take relatively little time, but quests, dialogues, and scripted/animated objects would take the majority of building time. As for items, the assets for them are fairly easy to create, but for the monsters, I'd probably use or retexture vanilla meshes as much as possible.

So, just gauging interest. I can't do it if it's just for me, I'm afraid, as my free time will soon become limited.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is always room for a new mod.
    My suggestion to anyone doing a mod is to make something that you would enjoy playing yourself. Chances are others will want to play it as well since we all love the same game.
    Regarding time, making new locations from scratch is what takes up the most time, and that is why the more mods we have the better, because we all use each others stuff to save us time.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i agree that mere terrain is a rather small part,
    even if you build it up from scratch with CF location editor,
    which btw over the time has been drastically improved by madgod.
    Templates for buildings can be created from parts that you generated with the CF maze generator and adjusted to your preferences,
    e.g. add window holes or starways/ramps.

btw: i think the ground mesh layout of CF maze generator abets specific monsters to pass physical walls,
    like it also happens in the existing mods, if we have the same prerequisites.
    The ground mesh is not interrupted "inside" the walls, resulting also in pathnodes "inside" the walls.
    (note that the gaps without pathnodes should be wider than the monster itself,
    i.e. huge mosters can still pass thin walls without pathnodes "inside"

DOs usually require an individual setup which requires hours or even days for setup and testing,
    more or less "unexplored" things like .msf scripting may even take longer,
    e.g. it took me ~3 weeks to create a behaviour script for a monster including related DOs
    which results in a ~40 sec sequence that probably some players wont even notice at all.
    (there is a delay at start, because players who rush through could be disturbed by such meticulously elaborate details ;)

regarding the versatility,
    i can imagine to use the w8 engine for a shopping software,
    with selectable vendor anims and the possibility of >40k different items for sale.
    Or as the visual component of a chess engine, each of the 64 squares with an npp and 12 "chess figure DOs".
    But i definitely would not want to write the npc scripts

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you feel about a setting with a more Wild West flair, though?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do YOU feel about it is the point. Nobody can judge your vision until you execute it.
    A wild west theme may likely sound strange or even undesirable to many, but that is because they cannot visualize the concept you have in your mind.
    If you try to explain yourself then you give too much which in itself takes away the anticipation of a new mod.
    That is precisely why i have said squat about the mod i am making. I know that myself and at least one other person here will enjoy my mod and that is fine by me.
    If we are the only two then i will still have made a great contribution to the modding community by virtue of all the new content that other modders can use.

Believe in yourself and get modding.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One idea I have (but am not sure of) is replacing some of the PC voices, to an extent. Judging by the CFE, this is fully possible. There are lines in each specific to the Wiz8 story, but on the other hand these personalities are what make the game so great, and replacing any of them would require a lot of recording and editing work. I could try to replace the specific lines using a sound-alike voice, but that too would be tricky.

Also, I've seen screenshots of generating terrain from a heightmap, but I can't seem to find the button. Did that feature actually make it in?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

besides that i can imagine a wild west scenario as a nice variation,
    the game mechanics would also fit quite well, there are 3 different modern weapon classes,
    the existing musket class(appearance id#114) and the energy weapon classes (ID#104,110) all rely on the weapons values,
    and the latter will also require ammo like muskets if the appropriate parameters are set.
    Then there is the rocket launcher class(ID#144) which relies on the values of its unique ammo(ID#143)
    but ID#143/144 combination will also use the atttack and ínitiative modifiers of the weapon itself if it is single handed,
    in opposition to single handed muskets which will only profit from modifiers of ammo if it is equipped in the 2ndary weapon slot,
    i.e. the engine does not take care which ammo has been reallly loaded, so there is no bonus for the autoloaded last shot(s),
    but a possible exploit: you get a bonus from holding a single "enhanced bullet" in 2ndary slot
    for a weapon in primary slot that was filled with standard ammo.

may sound a lil complicated, but thats mainly because of my bad english,
    and the rest should be appreciated for the wide range of possibilities in your wild west mod.

In other words, i support Dodds "Believe in yourself and get modding"

If appreciated i offer some support on 3D stuff,
    e.g. i just checked the anims of vanilla humanoids, it appears is if the reverted ending frames nearly punch anims
    and also some spell anims are useable as templates for a "draw and shoot pistol" sequence.
    Frostguard already did similar to get a Higardi Swordsman in his mod, and i think it looks quite good.

reagarding speechsets, already did some crude ones for RPCs based on existing stuff,
    my weak voice in combination with german accent is unuseable,
    so i wrote the script comments based on what was cutable from the audio material.
    Spoiler!

"heightmap"
    Its available since long but somewhat hidden: open CF Location Editor --> Terrain Tab
    and click the button with the green + below the window with list of terrain meshes.
    Select "Add a Surface (Landscape)..." and a window pops up which allows to select/browse_for a heightmap.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Err, how do I change the starting location?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HugoLuman View Post
    Err, how do I change the starting location?
    You can move the arrival teleporters around but the starting locations are fixed,
    they depend on whether its a new game respectively how the party ended Wiz7.

The workaround is to add teleporters, preferably as planes, directly below all possible arrivals.
    This way there is no possibility for players to intercept the sequence,
    the mere cosmetical flaw is that they will see 2 consecutive loading screens for the areas

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you feel about a setting with a more Wild West flair, though?
    I think almost any theme could be fun, but my gut feel is this may be a little out of place within the framework of the existing Wizardry theme, unless it was almost a total rewrite of the whole game.
    But its your vision and thats most important, especially as you will be putting in hundreds of hour work on it, it just has to be fun for you to create.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, total conversion probably does mean a total rewrite. I would like this to be enjoyable to other people on the board if possible, though, as it would make me feel more justified about the time investment.

I am going for total conversion here, new setting, new storyline, slightly different game balance. Anything in the world that can be replaced will, and anything that's hardcoded will just be made inaccessable. Speaking of which, what things in the various areas will break the game if removed? I know starting locations now, but what else must not be touched?

Also, found the generate from heightmap. It's good, but it makes something composed of many faces that's smaller than the party. I'll see if one of these texture scale controls will blow it up, or if they all do what they say on the tin.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh crap, physical walls aren't working. The landscape doesn't show up, the party falls right through an empty skybox to its death after teleporting.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

what things in the various areas will break the game if removed? I know starting locations now, but what else must not be touched?
    The exe contains many text strings like "missing trigger xxx, its not in the level file"
    I tried to collect(paste) them all in a text document: wiz8exe_hardcoded_stuff.zip
    pls note that the text file probably contains entries/lines which do not refer to "required" stuff,
    and that i cant give any warranty that the list is complete.

For instance i experienced ctds in SVojnas "back to guardia" mod (wiz7 with wiz8 engine)
    when the elevator setup which leads from/to MtGigas caves 1+2 was touched,
    I think they either cant be moved to another place at all,
    like it was done with other hardcoded stuff in the other levels,
    the only other reasons i could imagine is a missing reference in the elevators npc script or a possible collision with the new added triggers,
    though their names were carefully chosen to prevent such collisions.

Also, found the generate from heightmap. It's good, but it makes something composed of many faces that's smaller than the party. I'll see if one of these texture scale controls will blow it up, or if they all do what they say on the tin.
    you can either use "reduce face/polygon count" for the terrain mesh(r-click) or scale the whole mesh.

Oh crap, physical walls aren't working. The landscape doesn't show up, the party falls right through an empty skybox to its death after teleporting.
    In CF Location Editors main menu --> Build --> Rebuild Octree
    This is required each time you make decisive changes on terrain and/or physical walls in CF Location Editor,
    and "generate pathfinding database" in order to let monsters move on new faces

Besides creating regular backups before applying changes in CF,
    i recommend to set new physical walls properties (substance type / environment) temporarily to something unique in that location,
    until your ingame tests confirm that all works well, else you can easily select the group and delete the physicall walls if required.
    Last edited by townltu; 08-25-2013 at 04:23 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

After building the Octree and the pathfinding nodes, the party can walk around, with correct footstep sounds and everything. However, the terrain is still invisible. I'll try using unique materials.

Nevermind, rebuilding the tree fixed that. Well, this is off to a good start

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need at least one halo in the location. You must place this halo so that it will intersect some piece of terrain in order for it not to be unseen. there is a column that says which halo's are seen or unseen.
    Name this as "last halo" or something to identify that it is only there to enable you to see the location when you enter.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, judging by that txt file, I should just seal off Trynton, the Rapax Castle, and Ascension Peak, seeing as they contain hardcoded triggers. But the other areas (exception Lower Marten's Bluff and Mount Gigas) are free for replacement. Right?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Alright, judging by that txt file, I should just seal off Trynton, the Rapax Castle, and Ascension Peak, seeing as they contain hardcoded triggers. But the other areas (exception Lower Marten's Bluff and Mount Gigas) are free for replacement. Right?
    not quite, i estimate that half of the locations contain hardcoded stuff which is required to stay.
    As far as i can see one has to check out whats deletable and what not for each location individually
    Usually all "required" stuff can be placed together in a corner of the location
    where it does not distub your creations and is inaccessable for players,
    except the mentioned MtGigas caves where it leads to crash if you move the wronf stuff,
    dont remember exactly what or whether it was lvl1, 2 or both,
    think thats visible in my edits and perhaps also written in a readme.

The work of selecting hardcoded stuff and moving it out of reach has already been done by SVojna for his "Back to Guardia" mod,
    i offer to upld my version which has most flaws fixed that still existed,
    at least i could enter each location without "missing xxx, its not ...." ctd.

I recommend at least a high res monitor or even better 2 monitors/systems for easy comparison.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, well, as long as I have a sufficient number of areas to work with. I suppose sealing off Gigas and shunting the hardcoded stuff into corners would leave plenty of room for a TC. And no wasteful use of areas, like the Rapax Courtyard and Cellar.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the maximum angle a slope can be for the party to walk on it?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by townltu View Post
    btw: i think the ground mesh layout of CF maze generator abets specific monsters to pass physical walls,
    like it also happens in the existing mods, if we have the same prerequisites.
    The ground mesh is not interrupted "inside" the walls, resulting also in pathnodes "inside" the walls.
    (note that the gaps without pathnodes should be wider than the monster itself,
    i.e. huge mosters can still pass thin walls without pathnodes "inside"
    Interesting, can I get an example level with the maze which allows monsters to get through the walls?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoddTheSlayer View Post
    You need at least one halo in the location. You must place this halo so that it will intersect some piece of terrain in order for it not to be unseen. there is a column that says which halo's are seen or unseen.
    Name this as "last halo" or something to identify that it is only there to enable you to see the location when you enter.
    No, you don't need to do this any more (for long time already) - CF creates the last halo for you and it is not accessible from CF's gui.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What's the maximum angle a slope can be for the party to walk on it?
    You could set up different slopes and check which one is still climbable

However there is a slope in Reforged thats only climbable if you hit the shift button,
    the slope is in Pontifex`s building at Arnika Road, down to the room with the slimesfrom pontifex
    the automatically calculated factor in CF is 0.806533, it looks like an angle of 40-45 degree from the side,
    think thats near the limit, which i suppose is 45°.

btw i tried to make slopes easier climbable by setting the slope to "level surface" without noticable effect

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mad god View Post
    Interesting, can I get an example level with the maze which allows monsters to get through the walls?
    the mazes for reforged update have been revamped with planes that fit precisely to the width of the hallways and the walls thickness,
    and the obsolete faces were removed manually
    btw thx for the option to select faces with the frame, else i would not have done it ;)
    but its reproduceable with any maze or also physical walls of any open terrain if the prerequisites fit,
    pathnodes behind physical walls and too narrow passage for the monster bounding box (think thats walk/fightradius?)
    or also acute angle and no other/better way for pathfinding AI.

A good way to force monsters to penetrate walls is to let them flee.
    Cast "squared" spells (sleep, freeze, psionic blast etc) on monsters from outside into in a closed room
    and they run against the oposite wall and with some luck also through.
    Or to be visible for "close combat only" monsters without correct option to reach the party
    and start combat with other monsters in reach.

Even if my observations base on a totally different cause that i did not recognize,
    the missing physical walls respectively no pathnodes prevent the glitch.
    monsters even cant pass directly accessable ground in open terrain if it has no pathnodes.
    If you walk on such ground during combat,
    the melee guys can not follow the party and will simply stop fighting, while the enemy casters can continue with spells.

The "too narrow passage" can be experienced with party in game, in the Umpani roadhouse aka Bildublu`s Bar
    there is a board with drinks behind/left from the counter. (btw thx @Gandalf19 for the hint)
    The boards distance to the wall (in direction Kunars shop) is a little narrower than the party.
    If you look in direction Kunar and run along the wall, you will slide into the corner until stopped by the boards frame,
    then slowly penetrate the wall until the party pops through the physical wall.
    This works in ~ 2/3 for me in the original location, but a rebuild can change that decisively.

The acute angle is in Sadoks laboratory, enter and walk to the right where the potions lie on the ground
    then run into the acute angle which is created by the chemistry containers and the wall,
    keep vector slightly right from the bisector.
    This works nearly 100% for me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, um, can I have the files with all the hardcoded stuff shunted off the a corner? Needless to say, those would save much time.

Also, I've been thinking about level design. Most levels in Wizardry 8 seem to be long stretches of emptiness populated by roving monsters, seeming to exist only to inconvenience you as you travel from one objective to another. A few of these "connective tissue" areas have 1 or 2 interesting features (Crock's house, Arnika-Trynton Cemetery, Cathedral), but the rest are fairly devoid of anything to do or see.

So, I was thinking there could be a few huge areas on the way to elsewhere, but these areas themselves would be dotted with villages, camps, and other such mini-locations. However, I know that once an area reaches a certain size, the automap ceases to be convenient. So I don't think any location could have more than 3 sub-locations and they'd still be decently spaced out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I touched on this also in the favorite/least favorite locations thread.

For maps you can have different layers like in the monastery so that the map shows only the textures for each layer. CF supports this. there is an icon in the location editor for layers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SVojnas Back to Guardia mod aka svojna_Wiz7 mod - 20120110.rar incl some fixes:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu17tzk2u1...update_wip.rar
    unfortunately i did not record my changes,
    only found some comments after the archive was already uploaded, so i quote the few lines here:

---------------
    Remaining flaws:

new city:
    peasant door 31 unpalpable
    some phys walls missing

mountain steps:
    CT528 radius too large? (is accessable from lvl above)

Upkyr:
    move_rubble.msf: UnknownLocation: NP_RUBBLE
    (Fixed later by adding: NP_RUBBLE)
    Weird thing : Sgt Rubble becomes invisible on execution of command : "walkto"
    (perhaps the only real issue also for the known Rubble bug?)
    Btw: command TELEPORT helps to suppress invis!
    --------------

If somebody is interested to continue SVojnas work, the lake/sea location is also nearly ready,
    just write me a PM or post in the SVojna`s "Back to Guardia" Resources for Wiz 8 modding sticky

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's necessary to make the game call new locations by their name, instead of (unused)?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ahead of myself here, but is there a way to keep track of # days passed since a fact becomes TRUE? I want to have things involving hiring work crews to do things like clear debris or build stairs to access certain areas, so you hire them and a few days after that they finish

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Location names are stored in \data\strings\stringdata.dat,
    you can edit them with CF --> String Editors --> Interface String Editor.
    The classic location names start at entry 1783,
    the entry numbers for new locations can be seen if you select such a location in CF Location Editor.

As far as i can see there is no option for time related stuff in the "conventional" part of CF,
    i dont know exactly how to do it with lua but i think it could work in general and have an idea how,
    btw rather complicated, it might be a good idea to ask madgod for an idea about a more simple solution:

Use functions cfa.w8.gameGetDay(), cfa.w8.gameGetHOUR() andg cfa.w8.gameGetMinute()
    store the result(e.g. in fact bits) plus the NPCs max hiring time as integer (like excel),
    and use one or more of the frequently triggered functions
    (e.g. function onMonGenActivated(mongenname) combined with dummy mongens that generate an invisible monster with msf file command "disappear" scripted)
    to compare the values of game time and in case jump directly to the script block of the RPC
    where you added the appropriate text and an "RPC takes leave" command.

btw you could use command "assign behaviour script to monster" before releasing the RPC
    and play some special anims/sounds as decoration,
    or make him hostile, take specific item or gold, etc
    Last edited by townltu; 08-27-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's necessary to make the game call new locations by their name, instead of (unused)?
    'Rename Location' button is just to the right of the 'Select Location' button in the Location Editor.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ahead of myself here, but is there a way to keep track of # days passed since a fact becomes TRUE? I want to have things involving hiring work crews to do things like clear debris or build stairs to access certain areas, so you hire them and a few days after that they finish
    Technically possible using lua scripting.
    When fact A becomes true you put number of days played to fact B.
    In the OnLocationLoaded handler you keep comparing fact B and the number of days played.
    When the delta is X then you can trigger something.
    Note that this will not work if the player waits in the same location.
    Also keep in mind that facts can only accommodate values up to 255, because it is just a byte. You could split it into two facts if required: factB + factC * 255 to solve that issue.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

one thing that came into my mind:
    if the NSC is dead and forced to be released from party,
    he will probably be removed from game completely, like when you dismiss a dead NPC.

If you want to prevent that, you can cancel the release with a lua check whether the specific RPC is alive,
    and delay the release until he/she/it is resurrected.

"That will not work if the player waits in the same location"
    therefore my recommendation to use a mongen,
    as players actions have no influence on mongens, besides triggering an "Alarm" trap".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alarm traps spawn monsters? huh. Anyway, the best thing to do I think would be to make an inaccessable room and put the monster generator in there, and it will spawn the "time keeping" monster.

As for the work crews, I'm not sure about representing them with an RPC. That would make "provide escort to the work site" easier, but it introduces a myriad of other problems. Perhaps instead there'd be certain "formen" or "contractors" to talk to, who spawn some NPC's in the desired location until the work is done.

I'm starting another thread on this over at Bay12, to discuss content, story, puzzles, and stuff so as not to spoil you guys. Technical stuff shall remain here.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Rename Location' button is just to the right of the 'Select Location' button in the Location Editor.
    I tried that, but in-game it still displays as "(unused)"

Is this something the CF Injector fixes?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried that, but in-game it still displays as "(unused)"

Is this something the CF Injector fixes?
    Of course you need injection for this.
    And trust me you need injection for many of the cool things you going to do.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alarm traps spawn monsters? huh. Anyway, the best thing to do I think would be to make an inaccessable room and put the monster generator in there, and it will spawn the "time keeping" monster.
    The only concern is that I couldn't figure out how to make MonGen to fire reliably. Sometimes it looks like they aren't fired because of some reasons.
    Also make sure that there are no waypoints in this room - this way the generated monsters will disappear as soon as they are generated.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do Ferro/Antone keep track of time for their weapon forging? Or is that hardcoded?

Anyway, how do I get the injector/agent to work? It seems pointed to a directory that I didn't install wizardry to, and there seems to be no option to point it to the right place.
    Last edited by HugoLuman; 08-27-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, this is BAD

I made a monster, starting with a copy of a Higardi bandit, changing it's attack texts to "punch," but the game refused to use these attacks without crashing. Suddenly, all location names, ALL of them, are <x string is missing>.

The vanilla names display in-game, but the CF is missing all these strings! What's going wrong here?

EDIT: deleting w8stringroles.usr seems to have fixed it, but I'm still worried
    Last edited by HugoLuman; 08-27-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, how do I get the injector/agent to work? It seems pointed to a directory that I didn't install wizardry to, and there seems to be no option to point it to the right place.
    Please read the beginning of chapter Advanced Capabilities (via CF Agent) in W8Tutorials.pdf.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do Ferro/Antone keep track of time for their weapon forging? Or is that hardcoded?
    When you add an item to the trader you can specify the delay before this item actually appears in his/her inventory.
    That's how it is done - the custom thing.
    I suspect that there might be a collection of timers running in the system and they might even get saved in the save file, but I've never tried to track it down.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you add an item to the trader you can specify the delay before this item actually appears in his/her inventory.
    I suspect that there might be a collection of timers running in the system and they might even get saved in the save file, but I've never tried to track it down.
    Could this possibly be used to time events? I don't see anything for checking if they have it in their inventory, but perhaps after the specified time the player could purchase a "completed work order" that makes the event at the end of the countdown happen?

Please read the beginning of chapter Advanced Capabilities (via CF Agent) in W8Tutorials.pdf.
    Thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could this possibly be used to time events? I don't see anything for checking if they have it in their inventory, but perhaps after the specified time the player could purchase a "completed work order" that makes the event at the end of the countdown happen?
    Yes, you can use it - add an item with the delay and later detect 'party got item' event and trigger anything you want.
    Very good idea!
    I even can add cfa.w8.npcHasItemInTradeInventory function if it really helps things.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be amazing! We could time events with precision!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a big canyon area. Should I put invisible safety walls like at most cliffsides in vanilla, or leave people free to jump to their deaths if they want?

Oh, and here's the level so far, if anyone wants to take a look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z80eq6n2pwbtyim/spare14.rar
    Last edited by HugoLuman; 08-28-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i vote for max freedom, as usual

just dont use hardly climbable slopes at the egdes,
    think the majority of players would perceive that as rather nasty

you may also want to ensure that no friendly patrols will push the party over the edges,
    or at least add some wide parts to the way where the party can wait and let a patrol pass

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the starting area will feature friendly patrols. Perhaps a few scattered NPC's, but none that move about.

Creator of Reforged Mod 1.1 Qusari's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No physical walls please
    Find all Wiz 8 mods exclusively on this site:
    http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/wiz8mods.htm

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a big canyon area. Should I put invisible safety walls like at most cliffsides in vanilla, or leave people free to jump to their deaths if they want?
    You can add some fences here and there and leave some gaps for suicidal types...
    Thus you can ensure that patrols can walk around places with gaps and come close in places with fences.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be amazing! We could time events with precision!
    No we wouldn't be able to do that because you'll need to execute this function pretty much every second which you don't want and won't be able to do anyway.
    This will can only let you know in some handler if an NPC got the item, that means that the timer finished at some point in the past, not just finished.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose it could just check when you talk to the NPC, so the player wouldn't need to actually buy the item.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast