Thread: Total Conversion?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HugoLuman View Post
    I suppose it could just check when you talk to the NPC, so the player wouldn't need to actually buy the item.
    Yes, that's what I had in mind.
    Or when you enter the location...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the distance at which the Party automatically engages in combat? I don't want the game to automatically start combat with enemies on the other side of the gorge, because that would cause certain infinitely frustrating situations.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be getting ahead of myself a bit here, but I was thinking of including some kind of base management mechanic, hiring maintenance and guards and stuff. Possibly the base would be a vessel of some sort.

Thoughts?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might be getting ahead of myself a bit here, but I was thinking of including some kind of base management mechanic, hiring maintenance and guards and stuff. Possibly the base would be a vessel of some sort.

Thoughts?
    Then you need to organize the raids on your base, so your guards help you fight it off. Otherwise what for?
    And raids sounds kind of cool. Imagine you are coming back and see that your base is under attack. Well the combat will not technically start until you approach, but nevertheless...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was also thinking it as a base for sending out scavenging parties to find crashed spacecraft and/or meteorites. They'd be scavenging in areas the player can't actually reach, but it would be a way of getting cash/crafting supplies/building materials. One of the plot goals will be to repair a spaceship.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to do new summon spells? Or at least change the existing one?

2) I've completed the voice acting for a few NPC's, yet to assign the quotes but it's all recorded. I'm running out of distinct voices I can do. Anyone want to be a VA?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1a) the function to summon a monster appears to be hardcoded and related to the specific spell slot,
    i.e. changed the Summon Monsters spell to an Iceball (by replaced all values/parameters)
    but the "new" spell did not create an iceball, the obviously hardcoded elemental appeared.

b)the spell summons 28 monsters from the database, like listed in CF monster Editor, they start with ID#21 and end at ID#48,
    4 randomly selected(well, as far as i can see its random based) monsters for each Power Level of the casted spell.
    btw ID#49 is the Guardian in Arnika Bank Vault, its summoned by the game internal magician ;)

2nd btw: if you change/replace the summoned monsters you may want to keep in mind
    that they are often used by parties that rely mainly on magic in order to block monsters with devastating physical attacks,
    also buffed with Body of Stone/Guardian Angel and Razor Cloak like the guy(s) in the front row of a melee heavy party with supporting caster,
    so keep them in a way that they still offer some protection but are also quickly "remove/defunctable" for your Bosses.
    This also offers to add an encounter with interesting tactical variant:
    A monster with extremely high Anti-penetration AC (-99) so it takes only 1-3 hp damage from attacks that usually cause xx-100 damage,
    make it immune to magic and regenerate about 10 HP/round.
    That way it can only be brought down with the damage caused by its own attacks and reflected by the razor cloak.
    May be too complex for inexperienced players

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was planning on keeping the summons as tanks, but changing them for flavor reasons.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a way to make spells from certain schools not work in an area, like how fire spells don't work underwater?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) I've completed the voice acting for a few NPC's, yet to assign the quotes but it's all recorded. I'm running out of distinct voices I can do. Anyone want to be a VA?

I have no idea how to do VA, and also no idea how to record it, but maybe I could. I really dont know. I am English, so do best an English accent

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you and Towntlu are both welcome, as soon as I get the lines written. Might be a while, though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you and Towntlu are both welcome, as soon as I get the lines written. Might be a while, though.
    Sounds serious.
    I would participate if you want a male character speaking English with some terrible Russian accent.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mad god View Post
    Sounds serious.
    I would participate if you want a male character speaking English with some terrible Russian accent.
    That might be good, like the French speaker male char voice in the game.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to put this on the backburner for a while, course work requires I work on an original game

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick thing to remind you that this is still happening, albeit low priority in my life.

CRAP I already posted that one. Sorry. I'll get a more current screenshot later.
    Last edited by HugoLuman; 11-13-2013 at 01:15 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maps/Levels will take the longest time unless you are planning just to re-texture vanilla locations as new ones.
    Remember too that for new locations there are Dynamic objects, light sources, sound triggers, etc that all have to go into a location.

Too late to delete this useless post. I just re-installed firefox and 1st post was showing as last
    Last edited by DoddTheSlayer; 11-13-2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: wasted post

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to use the anim skeletons already in the game and tweak them a bit, rigging is a bitch. Is there any way I might get something resembling a T-pose?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to use the anim skeletons already in the game and tweak them a bit, rigging is a bitch. Is there any way I might get something resembling a T-pose?
    No way man. W8 final models are very old school - they don't use skeletons - they use morphing.
    I suspect initially their models used 'skellies', but then got converted into what we have to deal with now.

You could probably take a certain model's frame as close to T-pose as possible, export it into the obj file and then load it up into some úd program where you can apply a skeleton to it in a smart way and then go from there...
    But CF can help little here - only the export bit and later you got to get it back somehow and this is a bitch as well (using your words).

Unless... I can add 'export to multiple obj files' functionality to my Wiz3D Model Importer, which supports multitude of input formats. And then you can import multiple obj files into the CF/W8.

Just thinking 'aloud'...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also want to replace one of the PC voices, perhaps, but not sure which one. The eccentric ones come to mind.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to make new racial/class abilities? Or at least replace an existing one? I want to change up the pathetic thing that is Dracon Breath.

Your recurring nightmare Lord Shield's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to make new racial/class abilities? Or at least replace an existing one? I want to change up the pathetic thing that is Dracon Breath.
    Yes. In the Cosmic Forge Editor, click "Editors" (top left of main screen) and choose "Game Info Editor" (last menu option)

On the next screen, you can click on a race and its abilities will show in drop down boxes on the bottom left

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cant add a new race. You can only modify an existing one. Also you cannot give it entirely new abilities, but just choose from what is possible for existing races.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But could I turn the Dracon Breath into, for instance, web?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But could I turn the Dracon Breath into, for instance, web?
    I do not think so, not now, but potentially it is feasible - this will require finding the place where this ability gets activated and hopefully it is easily modifiable.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the sort of good news is that my college game project completely disintegrated, so I'll have some time to put into this during the break. Oddly enough, it was the Stanley Parable that got me wanting to work on this again.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making large terrain takes a really long time with this built in editor. I think I should make terrain somewhere else and import it. Any recommendations?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a problem with sound. For a custom death animation, I copied the whirlwind sound from the spell and put it in the monster sounds folder, but it refuses to play in game during the animation.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making large terrain takes a really long time with this built in editor. I think I should make terrain somewhere else and import it. Any recommendations?
    Terrain is a bitch, honestly.
    Most of terrain nowadays is using multiple textures and blending them on vertices.
    W8 engine cannot do it.
    I've come up with some 'dodgy' terrain generation using a height map, but it is quite limited, honestly, will not support roads unless you do everything really right...
    Ask Dodd - he was playing with the terrain a lot and have some insight into what can be done.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a problem with sound. For a custom death animation, I copied the whirlwind sound from the spell and put it in the monster sounds folder, but it refuses to play in game during the animation.
    You probably doing something wrong, I believe it should work, though cannot guarantee it.
    Try using an existing monster sound first (edit it in to the monster script file) and see if it works.
    After that rename you whirlwind sound into one of the existing monster sounds (so it effectively overrides the one stored in slf file) and see if it plays the whirlwind or the original sound.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

';

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a while since I've worked on this, mostly due to university reasons. From the get-go I knew I wouldn't be able to work on this full time, though, and that it would take a very long time to complete.

Does anyone know where I might find a decent low-poly (to match vanilla's style) human model to use? While I can re-texture the vanilla ones fairly well, they simply lack a lot of things I need for this mod.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Main thing holding me back is assets. Those take a lot of time to work on, especially getting the model animations to synch up, but I have found low-poly human models I can easily texture. However, level geometries and sti's are being surprisingly tricky too. Has anyone else made a mod with a lot of guns?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But of course: Qusari made two mods with a lot modern (or futuristic) guns.
    Not Aelfinn or Eelfinn, but Realfinn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, can anyone help me clear up which ranged weapon types use which ammo types? I'd like to have different types of ammo for guns (IE slugs, bullets) but AFAIK there's only one "musket" type and thus I'd be limited to having various types of ammo that uses the musket balls item type, and could thus be fired by any gun. Maybe I could re-purpose one of the energy weapon types?

EDIT: I know the IDs for the musket and the energy weapon types, but not the ammunitions for the energy weapons. Also, how much of the omnigun's ammo usage is hardcoded?

Additionally, I was thinking of a shotgun as a weapon which fires slugs/bullets as its normal attack animation, but "use item" does a cone-area projective spell, similar to magic missiles or whipping rocks. Would it be better to replace the rocket blast spell with that and do shotguns like that?
    Last edited by HugoLuman; 05-31-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All omniguns have appearance ID 131,
    so i guess the progression for useable ammo types is probably tied to item slot.

Musket/blunderbuss:
    Modifiers on initiative and dmg for ammo applies if the ammo is held in the left hand.
    Obviously only works if you make the weapon one handed,
    also can be exploited by loading the gun with normal ammo and placing better bullets in hand.
    Set weapon to single shot so the exploit requires work :D

IDs 120 and 121 (frontier phaser/cobaltine powerglove)
    require ammo with ID 132, if the weapon has no missile assigned,
    else it will not require ammo at all(but spend it if loaded)
    Not sure whether modifiers on ammo apply like for muskets type guns.

btw i designed a weapon which can be created by merging items,
    the result is the same weapon, fully loaded(set fixed usage count)
    This simulates attaching a power cell into the weapon with tool(s) out of combat,
    you cant merge items during combat.
    Otherwise the weapon will eat ammo just as any other weapon of that type.
    Main reason for me was balancing as it is basically an excellent training weapon
    with additional attacks for fast skill increase.
    I.e. either limited training per battle or else players must pay for ammo as usual.

The rocket launcher(ID 144) will only accept ammo with ID 145.
    Unlike the other modern weapons, the ammo determines dmg,
    so you could create ammo with differnt dmg for such guns.
    As far as i remember, the rocket explosion is only a visual effect,
    in opposition to the boiling blood explosion :D

The flamethrower aka type 145 can be recharged with ID 146 ammo,
    but afair it does not work like a gun, its designed to contain a spell.
    You can assign any, also spells that cant be learned by characters.

Most if not all of the new modern weapons in Qusaris mods
    need the textures or texture coordinates of their 3D models vertically flipped.

I can offer you some modified 3D models of Qs guns.
    which may resemble classic guns a lttle more,
    and a 3D model of a Walther 2000 sniper gun(1574 polys)
    with various item pics (w/o scope and bipod)
    If appreciated i will upld the stuff to my dropbox and send you the link via PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be very much appreciated.

Also, it seems attaching a spell ("Shotgun Blast") to musket-id guns causes their charges to only be used for the spell, resulting in a gun that doesn't need ammo for regular fire. Maybe the flamethrower model would be best, or the merge-reload (though that's somewhat unrealistic)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be possible to create a "Vacuum" area where it's impossible to use Air spells?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe with scripting somehow?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey interesting concept.
    If you have four areas each representing the four elements and could cut off the opposite element like fire realm cannot use water, then that could make for more interesting battles.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a look, no you can't do it at the moment, there is no 'onSpellCast' handler so you can detect which spell is being cast and cancel it or something.
    Though it might be doable, since there is already some code is doing the anti-magic zone logic.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gods, that would be cool. Though at the moment I think I'll focus on the terrestrial areas.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe you could use a rebreather systesm? make it so the elemental zones count as underwater/space/requiring a rebreather gear suit... which is an item already in wizardry 8 and then make it so that item has say -100water skill? give it to players when they enter the fire realm?

then maybe the players hand it back in when they leave? when they're in the water realm they get given another rebreather only this time its a different item with -100fire magic skill?

I've never made a mod though, not sure if that's a remotely helpful idea.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That might be a way to do it, except there's no way to stop NPCs/Monsters from using certain realm spells. Which is mainly a problem for summoned elementals, since the monsters that spawn in the areas could just not have spells in the affected realm

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conversion could be awesome. I'm in!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2