Thread: Savegame editors for Wiz8

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Savegame editors for Wiz8

One thing I've often wished for is a savegame editor that works well with modded games - I've got two versions and both have their faults.

One requires tabctl32.dll and has a contact address of webmaster@wizardryrealms.com in the readme (long since gone I'm sure). It allows both char stats and inventory edits, but can't edit inventories if the game is modded. Exe details show 'Simple Editor for Wizardry 8' version 1.00.0008 dated 4/4/2002.

The second is just an exe named 'Savegame Editor' which only allows char stats to be changed, but displays corrupted values above a certain XP value. Exe details show 'Wizardry 8 Editor Application' version 1.0.0.1 dated 22/12/2001.

Anyone know of any other savegame editors apart from these?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i know a 3rd one named Wizardry 8 Editor 2.6, by Jonathan Flanigan xxxxxx@yahoo.com
    aka [WizEdit8.exe]; filesize 139.264; timestamp 2002_08_20 14:49,
    but this one also cant handle new items or spells and the lists of both are buried in the exe,
    while the "Simple Editor for Wizardry 8, v1.0.8", the 1st you mentioned,
    has the spells also listed in the exe, but uses [W8EDIT.DBS] for item names,
    the structure is quite simple, i doubled the entries in W8EDIT.DBS and think that it works,
    at least i got no crash witn new modded items and could see them -
    respectively their incorrect descriptions - in the savegame editors inventory tab.

So you would have to find a way to transform the format of Items.DBS
    into the format which is used by the Editor, as they are not equal.

Another option is based on the Editors unique power to export/import a PC or RPC to/from the roster
    (aka \saves\characters\[character_nickname].chr)
    btw this also allows to play an exported RPC as reimport to a PC slot with values adjusted for a new run etc

Open a savegame and export a PC/RPC, note the filename.
    Remove one of his items from inventory(give other PC/drop in basket) and export again.
    Open both files with Hex Editor/etc which allows to compare files bytewise,
    or use command [fc /b [filename1.chr] [filename2.chr] > [myname].txt at the prompt
    to get file [myname].txt with list of the differing bytes.
    If you removed the weapon in primary slot, the differences should begin at offset 0FAAh,
    starting with item ID and "somewhat later" the numbers for charges respectively pieces in a stack.
    (btw the spells start a 0BD1h, and i believe to see 160 slots for them)

If the hex editor/etc allows to work with ram, btw debug.exe also does,
    you will find the character name (search for unicode text) several times in the games messages,
    but one time incl full name, followed by the same(well at least it looks to me on first sight) structured data like in the .chr file,
    That way you can add any item or spell "on the fly" without need to waiste time for save/reload.

Moreover, it protects the HD from unnecessayry wear,
    another advantage lies in the stealth factor of the cheat,
    i think only a meticously elabored huge lua script might be able to catch that.
    In which case you are probably messed up, as somebody insane enough to write such a script has probably added more bombs :D

There are other very simple ways to do that nearly "on the fly" which involve heavy abuse of the CF
    not the one that delays a speed run, i.e. requires to sleep 24h so that the cheated vendor has it in its list,
    but as madgod has not designed it for such purposes,
    so i can only advise to start practising with CF until,
    well, until you forgot why you started and begin modding.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply town...have used the 'edit item into vendor's stock' when all else fails! Just a shame that the source code for the editors is lost.