User Tag List

Thread: 8 States has welfare benefits that pay more than a teachers salary.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 8 States has welfare benefits that pay more than a teachers salary.

Total Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than an $8 per hour job 39
    Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than a $12 per hour job 6
    Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than the average salary of a U.S. Teacher 8

Top 10 Hourly Wage Equivalent Welfare States in U.S.
    State Hourly Wage Equivalent
    Hawaii $17.50
    Alaska $15.48
    Massachusetts $14.66
    Connecticut $14.23
    Washington, D.C. $13.99
    New York $13.13
    New Jersey $12.55
    Rhode Island $12.55
    California $11.59
    Virginia $11.11

http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Mauler View Post
    Total Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than an $8 per hour job 39
    Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than a $12 per hour job 6
    Number of U.S. States where Welfare pays more than the average salary of a U.S. Teacher 8

Top 10 Hourly Wage Equivalent Welfare States in U.S.
    State Hourly Wage Equivalent
    Hawaii $17.50
    Alaska $15.48
    Massachusetts $14.66
    Connecticut $14.23
    Washington, D.C. $13.99
    New York $13.13
    New Jersey $12.55
    Rhode Island $12.55
    California $11.59
    Virginia $11.11

http://www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics/

Umm you have to compare the welfare benefits in any given state to the teacher salaries in that state.
    contrastng anything in Hawaii to a different national average is totally retarded.
    Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Observe Hep dishonestly misquote and misrepresent 3 separate points made by another poster in order to troll.
    http://www.postcount.net/forum/showt...mmm-get-a-clue

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hawaii also has (I believe) the highest cost of living
    "Team Darktide...The only time I saw more virgins than darktide in one room at a time is when the pope was being elected." - Acery

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is Sith we are speaking about...

Understanding when a comparison is actually valid is a huge step for someone that doesn't even understand the nuances of using the word "has" versus "have"....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work in a state that does not pay its teachers well. Never have I been offered a teaching gig that paid less than 18$ an hour.
    Never have I taken a job as a teacher making less than 20$.

That is 20$ an hour, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year. In reality, I work < 40 weeks a year.

Also, Alaska may be paying 15ish dollars an hour for welfare, but they are also paying 60,000 dollars a year on average for their teachers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot help but wonder if the annual oil stipend paid to each Alaskan resident is being counted as "welfare" in this assessment...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guttersludge View Post
    I cannot help but wonder if the annual oil stipend paid to each Alaskan resident is being counted as "welfare" in this assessment...

this is only counting welfare food stamps and unemployment

Source: US Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Department of Commerce, CATO Institute

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, no mention of comparing apples to oranges then...

Roger that (as expected)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guttersludge View Post
    So, no mention of comparing apples to oranges then...

Roger that (as expected)
    what does this vague statement have to do with anything?

Gallifrey, Constellation of Kasterborous, 10-0-11-0-0 by 0-2 from Galactic Zero Centre
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Partninja View Post
    That is 20$ an hour, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year. In reality, I work < 40 weeks a year.
    Nice, $41,600? Better than OK. >_<

You can get up to $34,000/year...IF you have a doctorate. Not a huge drop down to bachelor's degree at $31,600.

[Edit:] Starting pay, of course. You can spend ten years in school (ish - not sure how long a doctorate on average takes for educators) AND 25 years as a teacher and make as much as $46,000/year.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sezyrrith View Post

You can get up to $34,000/year...IF you have a doctorate. Not a huge drop down to bachelor's degree at $31,600.

[Edit:] Starting pay, of course. You can spend ten years in school (ish - not sure how long a doctorate on average takes for educators) AND 25 years as a teacher and make as much as $46,000/year.
    In all fairness, I work for a charter school. We are in a bit more of a competition based business. We compete hard to keep students and we compete hard to get/keep great teachers. That includes paying slightly higher than the district we are a part of. Plus another 350 a month as our benefits. We can spend that money on our private healthcare, use it to purchase the company healthcare, or pocket it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all fairness, I work for a charter school. We are in a bit more of a competition based business. We compete hard to keep students and we compete hard to get/keep great teachers. That includes paying slightly higher than the district we are a part of. Plus another 350 a month as our benefits. We can spend that money on our private healthcare, use it to purchase the company healthcare, or pocket it.
    $350 is that all it costs you for medical care?
    thats cheap, my last company plan was $600 a month and that was just a regular ole run of the mill blue cross medical plan, that didnt involve dental or short term disability vision or anything else. it would have be an additional $200 more if I carried the premium plan

all together I was shelling out around $800 a month to carry full benefits and that was out of a $2600-$2800 month earnings before taxes.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats cheap, my last company plan was $600 a month and that was just a regular ole run of the mill blue cross medical plan, that didnt involve dental or short term disability vision or anything else. it would have be an additional $200 more if I carried the premium plan

all together I was shelling out around $800 a month to carry full benefits and that was out of a $2600-$2800 month earnings before taxes.
    That is all I am given

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You talking family? Cause I've never had to pay more than 2-300 a month for healthcare 500 is more around family.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do we have to have so many baseless retarded posts? These things don't help teacher pay, they hurt it because apparently your education did nothing for you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dresler View Post

You talking family? Cause I've never had to pay more than 2-300 a month for healthcare 500 is more around family.
    I would have to pull my pay stubs, but for my company's health care (vision/med/dental) it costs me ~$160 a month. With my disability (long and short term) cost I think it's around $200-$225. This is with BCBS.
    Wherever you tread, tread lightly. We are closer than you think, and our blades are sharp.
    *** her right in the *****! - Jameis Winston, 2014

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stangkilla View Post
    Sure does, the only think that's manufactured there and not brought in is: coffee, coca-cola and pineapples. (well...manufactured/produced/grown...)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddz View Post
    Sure does, the only think that's manufactured there and not brought in is: coffee, coca-cola and pineapples. (well...manufactured/produced/grown...)
    They make a lot of meth though! I've watched a few episodes of Dog the Bounty Hunter!

EDIT: forgot a "brah"
    "Team Darktide...The only time I saw more virgins than darktide in one room at a time is when the pope was being elected." - Acery

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skiddz View Post
    Man I miss kona coffee and pineapples from Hawaii.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swisser View Post
    I would have to pull my pay stubs, but for my company's health care (vision/med/dental) it costs me ~$160 a month. With my disability (long and short term) cost I think it's around $200-$225. This is with BCBS.
    I think mine is still under 200 a month that I pay although the company pays a lot more, was just being conservative. Although I believe we finally got word that we might have a 25% increase in health care costs depending on the plan next year, need to look into the email we had gotten sent out. I think my family plan is closer to 300 a month.

I don't usually pay attention to things like that though, as long as my savings and investments keep increasing like I expect. If they are off significantly then I start looking into things but they usually aren't.