Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hot-Shot View Post
    Flight Model

Most space games (including my past ones) greatly simplify the simulation, usually as an atmospheric flight model without gravity and air resistance – ships have predefined pitch, roll and yaw rates, linear acceleration (that is applied to a simplified point mass) and a capped top speed. When you want to turn, the joystick or mouse input is mapped directly to the specified turn rate irrelevant of the ship’s moment of inertia. Damage is usually handled as a multiplier on the turn rates and linear acceleration.

Star Citizen doesn’t do that. We model what would be needed on an actual spaceship, including correct application of thrust at the places where the thrusters are attached to the hull of the ship – in our model moment of inertia, mass changes and counter thrust are VERY necessary. Star Citizen’s physical simulation of spaceflight is based on what would actually happen in space.

There were a couple of reasons why we went this direction –

1. Because we were planning on modeling and simulating spaceships with a fidelity that hadn’t been seen before I felt we needed a simulation that would let the player have different flight behavior if a thruster is damaged, a wing is blown off or a pilot overloads his ship with weapons and ammunition? I wanted a system that could feel distinct for a huge variety of ships, with wildly different sizes and roles because in Star Citizen you can go from a single seater ship 15 meters in length to a huge capital ship over 1km in size crewed by many players. I wanted these ships to come with their own identity and feel much like similar sized cars, even if equivalent in mass can feel radically different. I wanted ships to have their own personality – not just a slower of faster version of the base ship.
    2. The second is that Star Citizen will have a significant amount of player vs. player combat. I don’t know how many people played Wing Commander Armada (the first Wing Commander game to feature multiplayer) but it wasn’t that much fun in battle mode (the head to head mode). When you design a single player game you can deliberately dumb down the AI to allow the player to get on the tail and shoot down multiple enemies, which gives the player a sense of achievement. There’s nothing more fun than single handily clearing a wave of 10 enemy Kilrathi fighters. But let’s be honest, in single player games the ability for the player to gun down waves of enemies has less to do with the skill of the player because the player is usually overpowered in respect to the base enemies he will fight. You can’t do this in player vs player, and it’s likely that multiple players will have the same ship. Without a sophisticated simulation and flight model, with lots of options for a pilot to fluidly try different tactics to get the upper hand the battles can end up as a frustrating stalemate when both pilots have the same ship as no one can get on the other’s tail because you don’t have the same forces that affect air combat (namely gravity and air resistance) to bleed energy from the maneuvers.
    These reasons are why we went out of our way to fully simulate the physics that would involve controlling and moving a ship in space with no short cuts.

In the very same way we also simulate the ship systems. Every function is tied to individual items that are “plugged” into the ship – the weapons, the thrusters, power plant, heat sinks, radar, fuel tank, batteries, targeting system, CPU, HUD and even the Intelligent Flight Control System (IFCS) are all items that tie into various “pipes” that connect the systems – there’s a pipe for power, heat, fuel and CPU cycles. The targeting computer needs power from the Power Plant and CPU cycles from the Ship’s Computer, positional information from the Radar to resolve targets. If there aren’t enough CPU cycles to go around the targets will resolve slower, not enough power and the targeting computer may stop functioning all together. If you don’t draw off enough heat from the weapons, they may overheat, malfunction or even become damaged. If one of your wings gets blown off with its attached heat sinks, you better scale back your heat output.

By fully simulating both the systems and physics of powered spaceflight we allow for a huge amount of emergent behavior and variety in the final game. Ship load out becomes very important not just for functionality but also for actual flight and responsiveness. Just like in real military aviation design, you could decide to have redundant systems for better battle survivability or you could maximize your hitting power at the expense of maneuverability.

— Chris Roberts

I assumed they were doing Wing Commander/X-Wing style flight.

I look forward to trying it. It seems like it will require some "learning", which is fine and what I wanted as that is more rewarding, albeit more frustrating at the start. I think the big problem with all us gamers is we hate having to learn $#@! and just want to jump right in and (hopefully) just continue on with our l33t FPS shooter skills that we left off from the last game.

What I like about what he is trying to do is that it allows for a lot of opportunity to do cool things that we will slowly learn about. It allows people to go that extra mile and not just be a GOOD Pilot or a GREAT Pilot but to become an AMAZING Pilot that just blows the mind of other people away. This is how it SHOULD be. Not everybody will become an expert at flying, but so what? Go become good at the economy or mining or whatever.

I want to come across that rare Pilot that is driving some $#@! box and does some amazing things and blows my ass off and steals all my stuff, based on pure skill. Ya, he will piss me off and I will rage and scream and post about how the game is unbalanced and bla bla bla, but its that feeling of FRUSTRATION and amazement and wonder, coupled with that human emotion that forces us to compete, that will make that a great moment in the game and force me to get better and better and come back for more.

Turning this into a FPS in space, is not what I want. Hopefully Chris Roberts sticks to his guns on this stuff. I mean, we don't want him to be stubborn stupid and not improve things but if the vision works, it shouldn't be changed just because some gamers refuse to adapt to a new model or try something different.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This looks cool:
    http://www.saitek.com/x55/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mithan View Post
    I order this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_HOTAS_X.html

Gets good reviews for the price and 49.99 shipped is easier to swallow.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flight Model

Most space games (including my past ones) greatly simplify the simulation, usually as an atmospheric flight model without gravity and air resistance – ships have predefined pitch, roll and yaw rates, linear acceleration (that is applied to a simplified point mass) and a capped top speed. When you want to turn, the joystick or mouse input is mapped directly to the specified turn rate irrelevant of the ship’s moment of inertia. Damage is usually handled as a multiplier on the turn rates and linear acceleration.

Star Citizen doesn’t do that. We model what would be needed on an actual spaceship, including correct application of thrust at the places where the thrusters are attached to the hull of the ship – in our model moment of inertia, mass changes and counter thrust are VERY necessary. Star Citizen’s physical simulation of spaceflight is based on what would actually happen in space.

1. Because we were planning on modeling and simulating spaceships with a fidelity that hadn’t been seen before I felt we needed a simulation that would let the player have different flight behavior if a thruster is damaged, a wing is blown off or a pilot overloads his ship with weapons and ammunition? I wanted a system that could feel distinct for a huge variety of ships, with wildly different sizes and roles because in Star Citizen you can go from a single seater ship 15 meters in length to a huge capital ship over 1km in size crewed by many players. I wanted these ships to come with their own identity and feel much like similar sized cars, even if equivalent in mass can feel radically different. I wanted ships to have their own personality – not just a slower of faster version of the base ship.
    2. The second is that Star Citizen will have a significant amount of player vs. player combat. I don’t know how many people played Wing Commander Armada (the first Wing Commander game to feature multiplayer) but it wasn’t that much fun in battle mode (the head to head mode). When you design a single player game you can deliberately dumb down the AI to allow the player to get on the tail and shoot down multiple enemies, which gives the player a sense of achievement. There’s nothing more fun than single handily clearing a wave of 10 enemy Kilrathi fighters. But let’s be honest, in single player games the ability for the player to gun down waves of enemies has less to do with the skill of the player because the player is usually overpowered in respect to the base enemies he will fight. You can’t do this in player vs player, and it’s likely that multiple players will have the same ship. Without a sophisticated simulation and flight model, with lots of options for a pilot to fluidly try different tactics to get the upper hand the battles can end up as a frustrating stalemate when both pilots have the same ship as no one can get on the other’s tail because you don’t have the same forces that affect air combat (namely gravity and air resistance) to bleed energy from the maneuvers.
    These reasons are why we went out of our way to fully simulate the physics that would involve controlling and moving a ship in space with no short cuts.

In the very same way we also simulate the ship systems. Every function is tied to individual items that are “plugged” into the ship – the weapons, the thrusters, power plant, heat sinks, radar, fuel tank, batteries, targeting system, CPU, HUD and even the Intelligent Flight Control System (IFCS) are all items that tie into various “pipes” that connect the systems – there’s a pipe for power, heat, fuel and CPU cycles. The targeting computer needs power from the Power Plant and CPU cycles from the Ship’s Computer, positional information from the Radar to resolve targets. If there aren’t enough CPU cycles to go around the targets will resolve slower, not enough power and the targeting computer may stop functioning all together. If you don’t draw off enough heat from the weapons, they may overheat, malfunction or even become damaged. If one of your wings gets blown off with its attached heat sinks, you better scale back your heat output.

By fully simulating both the systems and physics of powered spaceflight we allow for a huge amount of emergent behavior and variety in the final game. Ship load out becomes very important not just for functionality but also for actual flight and responsiveness. Just like in real military aviation design, you could decide to have redundant systems for better battle survivability or you could maximize your hitting power at the expense of maneuverability.

— Chris Roberts

I look forward to trying it. It seems like it will require some "learning", which is fine and what I wanted as that is more rewarding, albeit more frustrating at the start. I think the big problem with all us gamers is we hate having to learn $#@! and just want to jump right in and (hopefully) just continue on with our l33t FPS shooter skills that we left off from the last game.

What I like about what he is trying to do is that it allows for a lot of opportunity to do cool things that we will slowly learn about. It allows people to go that extra mile and not just be a GOOD Pilot or a GREAT Pilot but to become an AMAZING Pilot that just blows the mind of other people away. This is how it SHOULD be. Not everybody will become an expert at flying, but so what? Go become good at the economy or mining or whatever.

I want to come across that rare Pilot that is driving some $#@! box and does some amazing things and blows my ass off and steals all my stuff, based on pure skill. Ya, he will piss me off and I will rage and scream and post about how the game is unbalanced and bla bla bla, but its that feeling of FRUSTRATION and amazement and wonder, coupled with that human emotion that forces us to compete, that will make that a great moment in the game and force me to get better and better and come back for more.

Turning this into a FPS in space, is not what I want. Hopefully Chris Roberts sticks to his guns on this stuff. I mean, we don't want him to be stubborn stupid and not improve things but if the vision works, it shouldn't be changed just because some gamers refuse to adapt to a new model or try something different.
    What is wrong with you? You don't want easy mode, every equal game play?

Another thing I found that is going to make it interesting is damage. In one of his interviews, Chris said that because they are using such realistic physics and flying- damage will greatly effect how your ships fly.

All those thrusters you see in videos aren't just for looks.

If they take damage they'll effect the ship. So in the middle of a dog fight, all of a sudden you might not be able to turn right ot left as well or pull or push the nose up or down and your flying will have to adapt to those changes.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sworks View Post
    Flight Model

— Chris Roberts

What is wrong with you? You don't want easy mode, every equal game play?

Another thing I found that is going to make it interesting is damage. In one of his interviews, Chris said that because they are using such realistic physics and flying- damage will greatly effect how your ships fly.

If they take damage they'll effect the ship. So in the middle of a dog fight, all of a sudden you might not be able to turn right ot left as well or pull or push the nose up or down and your flying will have to adapt to those changes.
    Wing commander had that if I recall.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

thrustmaster always makes good $#@!.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)
    View Channel: hotshottd

yeah i was just messing around in the dog fighting last weekend and one of my guns got hit bad. so bad it blew right off my ship! so i was down one gun. then my wing got blown off which made it much more difficult to fly around. in another match i had 2 guys on my tail and they took out my rear thrusters. i was heading right into a bunch of astroids and i was unable to steer my ship in another direction.... boom! i don't think i was recording... but in this stream from the other weekend you can see when i hit a astroid my wing gets blown off:

(watch from the 6min mark)

Free Flight Mode with the Hornet:
    i was watching a video the other day and this guy had amazing control over his ship. i'll try and find it again but he was using a joystick and had turned off many of the automated systems it was pretty impressive flying.

i'm pretty excited to see how they manage boarding. i imagine you would take out a large ships thrusters leaving it dead in space. then board it with a bunch of your buddies and engage in a first person blaster fight. obviously if you succeed you take it over for your own and any cargo they were transporting. however i think chris stated any ship that is captured via pirating will not be insurable... so if you then get it blow up it is lost. also if you attempt this in space systems that are controlled by a faction you will obviously become labeled as a pirate and may end up in the slammer if caught!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

yeah i was just messing around in the dog fighting last weekend and one of my guns got hit bad. so bad it blew right off my ship! so i was down one gun. then my wing got blown off which made it much more difficult to fly around. in another match i had 2 guys on my tail and they took out my rear thrusters. i was heading right into a bunch of astroids and i was unable to steer my ship in another direction.... boom! i don't think i was recording... but in this stream from the other weekend you can see when i hit a astroid my wing gets blown off:

(watch from the 6min mark)

Free Flight Mode with the Hornet:
    i was watching a video the other day and this guy had amazing control over his ship. i'll try and find it again but he was using a joystick and had turned off many of the automated systems it was pretty impressive flying.

i'm pretty excited to see how they manage boarding. i imagine you would take out a large ships thrusters leaving it dead in space. then board it with a bunch of your buddies and engage in a first person blaster fight. obviously if you succeed you take it over for your own and any cargo they were transporting. however i think chris stated any ship that is captured via pirating will not be insurable... so if you then get it blow up it is lost. also if you attempt this in space systems that are controlled by a faction you will obviously become labeled as a pirate and may end up in the slammer if caught!

Things like that are awesome and why I want to play this game. Yes, it WILL be frustrating at times when somebody launches a missile at you and HAPPENS to kill something vital on you, taking you out of the fight really early, much earlier than if he didn't, but that is how it goes.

The same works in reverse.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

HotShot- you've apparently been following this more than I have, what can you tell me about the multi player RSI Constellation?
    According to the description it's a multi person ship, does that mean you can have a player as a gunner?
    they are currently redesigning and improving the constellation. i think they plan to release some new variants of it in the coming weeks so keep posted!

but yup you can have up to 4 friends (or hired npcs) in the constellation at once i believe. you can actually walk around in the ship while it is flying in space. as for roles like "gunner" there are:

- 3 seats in the front driving area:

- 3 seats up front - seat shown here in the middle retracts up or down into the "gunner" turrets:

- top manned turret:

- and even a small "flight deck" with a little fighter that can be boarded and launched:

it's a pretty well rounded ship that has great firepower and cargo space. here's the current constellation brochure: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/m...BrochureV2.pdf

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HotShot- you've apparently been following this more than I have, what can you tell me about the multi player RSI Constellation?
    According to the description it's a multi person ship, does that mean you can have a player as a gunner?
    they are currently redesigning and improving the constellation. i think they plan to release some new variants of it in the coming weeks so keep posted!

but yup you can have up to 4 friends (or hired npcs) in the constellation at once i believe. you can actually walk around in the ship while it is flying in space. as for roles like "gunner" there are:

- 3 seats in the front driving area:

- 3 seats up front - seat shown here in the middle retracts up or down into the "gunner" turrets:

- top manned turret:

- and even a small "flight deck" with a little fighter that can be boarded and launched:

it's a pretty well rounded ship that has great firepower and cargo space. here's the current constellation brochure: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/m...BrochureV2.pdf
    Is there a 2 man ship, trying to find crew numbers.

My son doesn't think he wants to fly, but would love to be a gunner for me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

Is there a 2 man ship, trying to find crew numbers.

My son doesn't think he wants to fly, but would love to be a gunner for me.
    yup many.

the MISC Freelancer and Drake Interplanetary Cutlass are both good choices that support a 2 man crew. keep in mind you can always hire npcs to help man your larger ships if you are playing solo.

also you can always "Exchange for Store Credits" and buy a different ship or package if you change your mind or just want to check out other ships. i think this option is available until the game is released.

Freelancer:

Cutlass:

Last edited by Hot-Shot; 06-20-2014 at 11:28 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

there are a couple other 2 man ships still in the works or are currently not available for purchase like the:

anvil aerospace gladiator (bomber class)

misc starfarer (carrier class)

aegis dynamics surveyor (salvage class)

Xi’an Khartu (scout/fighter class)

and then theres the super hornet (fighter class) much like the hornet but has 2 seats

and i imagine many others in the near future and many many more when the game is released.
    Last edited by Hot-Shot; 06-20-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of getting the long range Freelancer for exploring, already have the stealth Hornet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

I was thinking of getting the long range Freelancer for exploring, already have the stealth Hornet.
    oh nice the stealth hornet looks badass! Yeah the freelancer seems like an all around decent ship.

It looks like they posted some stuff about Xi'An Scout... Looks pretty cool. Hopefully it brings in some $ to further fund the game <3

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...cout-Available

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mithan- I just got the controller today. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I will say the quality is what you expect from TM. I bought this as a filler to make sure I like SC as much as I think I will before investing in higher end controllers. I don't think it will be necessary. Don't let the 49.99 price throw you off- well worth it.

One example of the thought that went into it, if you put the 2 halves together, there are two captured allen head screws in the bottom to screw them together. The allen key is in it's own slot in the bottom as well.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

Mithan- I just got the controller today. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but I will say the quality is what you expect from TM. I bought this as a filler to make sure I like SC as much as I think I will before investing in higher end controllers. I don't think it will be necessary. Don't let the 49.99 price throw you off- well worth it.

One example of the thought that went into it, if you put the 2 halves together, there are two captured allen head screws in the bottom to screw them together. The allen key is in it's own slot in the bottom as well.

I normally do not game with joysticks.... but I might just have to pick one up for star citizen.

Also, funding just hit 47mil!

Any predictions as to the total amount funded by release?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I normally do not game with joysticks.... but I might just have to pick one up for star citizen.

Also, funding just hit 47mil!

Any predictions as to the total amount funded by release?
    I dont know, after trying it this afternoon it was a hot mess. One thing they will need to address is the turreted weapons. I see how as it is now, mouse fliers have an advantage.

The one thing that gives me hope is that the WOW types will try to fly once and give up. After trying today I have an all new respect for your videos.

I couldn't stay on target worth a $#@!. At one point 2 top thruster were gone and I was in an unrecoverable spin, at least for me.

I can see now I want to spend some time learning to fly.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I would like to see them doing Stretch Goals that focus on improving overall quality and getting the game out the door faster.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Tempted to buy the freelancer.

i guess you can't buy ships after the game goes live.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe so, the purchasing of ships right now is to fund the game.

I have a stealth hornet and thinking about the long range Freelancer

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i am split. On one hand, it COULD partially ruin the games building phase, where you gather money and such. Then again, let's keep in mind you can lose your entire ship or at least most of it. I don't think being rich will be easy in this game due to the costs involved.

Even Lifetime insurance on starter ships only replaces the base model. If you blow up with expensive $#@! on board... you are replacing expensive $#@!.

So maybe I can make the purchase and find out it was worth it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

yeah i have a hornet as well and was thinking about getting a freelancer or a ship like it that i could do more cargo transportation missions or exploration with. the hornet will be a blast in the arena combat module or any dog fighting in the presistant universe but there are so many other aspects of the game. i guess you could also do "escort" type missions with ships that are pure firepower by design as well.

i am split. On one hand, it COULD partially ruin the games building phase, where you gather money and such. Then again, let's keep in mind you can lose your entire ship or at least most of it. I don't think being rich will be easy in this game due to the costs involved.

Even Lifetime insurance on starter ships only replaces the base model. If you blow up with expensive $#@! on board... you are replacing expensive $#@!.

So maybe I can make the purchase and find out it was worth it.

i think as you buy upgrades or carry additional cargo you can upgrade your insurance to cover.... here is more info on insurance:

What is insurance?

Pilots in Star Citizen can purchase insurance policies for their ships, modifications and cargo. This ensures that your ship will be replaced and/or its modifications and cargo will be subsidized should you be destroyed in a fight or accident. As in real life, insurance policies must be maintained: you must pay a regular fee in galactic credits (the in-game currency) or your policy will lapse and you will not receive a payout or a ship replacement when your ship is destroyed.

Will this Insurance cost a lot?

Like in real-life insurance should be a relatively small part of your regular in game expenses which will also include paying landing fees, trade tariffs (if in a system with lots of infrastructure and law and order), fuel (if you don’t collect it yourself from a gas giant), buying cargo to trade, hiring help, making upgrades to your ship or even buying a whole new ship.
    Some of the additional policies like upgrade or cargo insurance will be rated based on risk levels. Risk level 1 being the safest systems and risk level 5 being the most dangerous system that is insurable for cargo or upgrades. Any risk level over 5 is un-insurable. A risk 3 policy for cargo will cover you for all cargo losses in a risk 3 system or below. The higher the risk level of the policy the more it will cost. As with the base insurance this will not be crippling financially but instead be a reasonable running cost that relates to the risk / reward profile of the systems flown.

What happens if I don’t have insurance?

Your character will have to buy a new ship with any credits he has, or if he doesn’t have enough credits fly missions for a third party (both NPC and player) until he’s earned enough to buy his own ship again.

Will my insurance carry over to ships I earn in the finished game?

No, and you cannot transfer insurance policies from one ship to another.

Can I use my insurance as an excuse to simply ram other ships to death knowing I will get my ship back?

You can, but this will be a very bad idea as it is inconvenient and time consuming in getting your replacement ship ready to go again. Additionally there will be an increasing delay in replacing your ship every time you make a claim within a certain period of time.

Can I insure alien or one-off ships?

You can not insure them through the standard UEE-bonded insurance process, although other options will be available. The only exception is the limited number of Vanduul fighters sold through the RSI site during the pledge campaign; these ships do have lifetime insurance included.

What will you do to combat insurance fraud?

A ship cannot be sold without a legitimate hull id code. Claiming on the insurance policy invalidates the hull code on your previous ship, so if it was captured or stolen the new owner will be unable to sell the ship at a regular ship dealer. Additionally if you have claimed on a policy and someone is flying the stolen ship in a well policed system, the hull id will mark it as a stolen ship, the law will be after you and landing privileges will be denied on any lawful planet. You will be able to fly a “hot” ship to the less savory parts of the Star Citizen universe, where you will probably be able to land and may be able to purchase a fake hull id code, but it will take effort and not necessarily be cheap.
    Finally the Advocacy takes insurance fraud very seriously. If it can be proven that a player has colluded with another player to defraud the insurance company, that hull’s lifetime insurance will be invalidated and the player may have to pay a large amount of credits to keep their record clean and not be marked as a wanted criminal.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

@Mithan @Sworks did you guys end up getting a freelancer? debating myself... thinking maybe i'll cash in my hornet and get a freelancer. the new variants looks pretty bad ass.

Also @FictitiousReality @Drainne @PolarK @Von @flawedvic let me know if you guys back and i'll send you a portalstorm organization invite!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

No I didn't, will hold off for now.

Rudy Rudy Rudy FictitiousReality's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Mithan @Sworks did you guys end up getting a freelancer? debating myself... thinking maybe i'll cash in my hornet and get a freelancer. the new variants looks pretty bad ass.

Also @FictitiousReality @Drainne @PolarK @Von @flawedvic let me know if you guys back and i'll send you a portalstorm organization invite!
    Which package should I purchase?
    Portalstorm Gaming Community - Games dead, play something else with us. Est. 2012
    DISCORD VOICE - https://discord.gg/0LERtyBuSBD9SNYU
    www.portalstorm.net

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FictitiousReality View Post

Which package should I purchase?

i donno... what do you want to do?

keep in mind you can always exchange it for store credit and get a different ship if you change your mind

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't decided. but I have a feeling I'll add the Freelancer long range to have the variety.

Kicking myself for not doing it earlier and getting free lifetime insurance on it. At least I have that on the Hornet which I presume will see more combat, but who knows with pirating and all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

I haven't decided. but I have a feeling I'll add the Freelancer long range to have the variety.

Kicking myself for not doing it earlier and getting free lifetime insurance on it. At least I have that on the Hornet which I presume will see more combat, but who knows with pirating and all.

Yeah I don't think insurance is going to be all that big of a deal honestly. Lifetime will be nice... but I don't think the cost of basic insurance is going to be all that major.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming you're not worried about cost, and you wanted a ship that is mostly about exploration but can at least hold its own in combat, which one would you choose? The 325a?
    I block all signatures. Feel free to ignore mine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hep View Post
    Assuming you're not worried about cost, and you wanted a ship that is mostly about exploration but can at least hold its own in combat, which one would you choose? The 325a?
    yeah the 300 series are pretty nice. i've played around with them a little in freeflight and the dogfighting beta modules. they are smooth fast and can carry a good number of missiles as well. plus they are very slick looking:

and if you end up changing your mind down the road you can always exchange for store credit and get a different ship.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

behind-the-screens look at Star Citizen’s upcoming Asteroid Hangar with the team at BHVR, which will debut the room system. The room system will allow the game to expand from single hangars to larger, interactive environments and eventually the persistent universe!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ended up adding the Freelancer DUR to my fleet.

Thought it'd be nice to have an Exploration/Cargo ship and a Stealth Fighter

This is Pretty Dam cool

Last edited by Sworks; 07-07-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

Very nice! Yeah think I am going to get a freelancer... or maybe a cutlass... I already have a super hornet so I need something for cargo and exploration type missions.

I've yet to try the voice attack add ons. I've read alot about them on the offical forums. pretty neat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice! Yeah think I am going to get a freelancer... or maybe a cutlass... I already have a super hornet so I need something for cargo and exploration type missions.

I've yet to try the voice attack add ons. I've read alot about them on the offical forums. pretty neat.
    I've been playing with it for the last few days, really fun. It's only $8- the money pit is if you want some cool voices.

I'll admit to being lazy with this question, I know you've been following it pretty closely. Have they said anything more about joystick vs. mouse with the gimbled weapons?

I've played both ways and I'm finding that the mouse has an advantage being able to move the point of fire.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

I've been playing with it for the last few days, really fun. It's only $8- the money pit is if you want some cool voices.

I'll admit to being lazy with this question, I know you've been following it pretty closely. Have they said anything more about joystick vs. mouse with the gimbled weapons?

I've played both ways and I'm finding that the mouse has an advantage being able to move the point of fire.
    I have not played with a joystick only a keyboard and mouse. But I have seen some videos of people playing with a joystick and they have been able to perform extremely well. I think they had controls which allowed them to easily toggle between different flight modes. So if you are playing with a joystick it may require additional configuration or time to become comfortable with your controls. But all that depends widely on the users personally preference and the actual joystick they are using as there are 100s all of which offer different configurations/features.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

New Ship: Aegis Gladius

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/s...-aegis-gladius

The Aegis Gladius is the UEE’s reigning light short-range patrol fighter. A single-seat ship with no room for expansion, the Gladius is fast, maneuverable and capable of punching far above its weight. A light fighter with a laser-focus on dogfighting, the Gladius is an ideal interceptor or escort ship. The main advantage to the design is simplicity: cheap to produce, easy to repair and outfit and quick to train new pilots on. The Gladius is an aging design nearing the end of its life-cycle, although iterative updates have kept it the most nimble fighter in the active fleet

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

For any who have backed and would like to join our little postcount organization just give me a shout!

note: you are able to join multiple organizations

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

wow this is actually pretty impressive:

Alien Languages – We will work with real-world linguists to create distinctive and realistic alien languages for Star Citizen’s three biggest alien races, the Vanduul, the Xi’An and the Banu. No universal translators, no garbled animal noises: Star Citizen’s aliens will be speaking their own authentic languages!

have any other games ever gone to these lengths and created new languages? I'm so gonna learn how to speak Banu inrl....
    Last edited by Hot-Shot; 07-18-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

@Drainne you are always looking for games with great lore/story times: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...ax-Episode-One

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

@PolarK @Drainne @Von @FictitiousReality @Mithan @Sworks @Hep @Swisser @Ghoest9 @Locuus @Tazman @Scarloch @Zultanious @Docmandu

Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but I thought it was pretty cool. They show the design and building of one of the worlds which we will be able to explore:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I'm already committed; I'm just torn on the package I'm getting.
    I block all signatures. Feel free to ignore mine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hep View Post
    Thanks. I'm already committed; I'm just torn on the package I'm getting.
    Just dump the cash, Hornet Stealth and a Freelancer Explorer.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody is overly enthusiastic... I hope your dreams won't be crushed when you can play the final game and find out that in your mind it was so much more awesome!

Anyway personally, I don't care about this one.. not my kind of game... Elite I'll have a look at, just out of nostalgia.. but never played Wing Commander, so this one doesn't have any nostalgic value, so it's just another flight/space sim to me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Docmandu View Post

Somebody is overly enthusiastic...
    Sorry you don't share my enthusiasm.. Personally I think it is great that games like these are breaking the traditional mmo clone. They are doing something new and innovative and yes, that does excite me... So I share my excitement with others on a board which is here for such discussions.

What doesn't excite me is your typical clone mmorpg pushed out by major developers that lacks any imagination or risk in doing something new. Grind to max level farm raids, 0 skilled pvp, no risk pvp, yawn.....
    Last edited by Hot-Shot; 07-26-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, nothing wrong about being passionate about something.. just be careful that your expectations aren't so high that nobody will ever be able to satisfy them... think everybody on this forum knows how it goes We've all 'seen' DAoC in every MMO that gets made, just to find out it's nothing like DAoC.

These days I try to keep my expectations in line.. not always easy though :-)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

Oh totally. The game could be a complete disappointment to many... But from what I've read, understand and played I feel it has great potential more so than any other up-and-coming game. My expectations of the game are simply based on what has been released about the game and what I have experienced in the beta. However this is still just "potential"... As you can not truly judge and rate a game until you have spent a considerable amount of time playing the official final release of that game. And this game, like any other beta still has a long long way to go. And there will no doubt be problems, issues, bugs all of which will be frustrating at times no doubt.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but I thought it was pretty cool. They show the design and building of one of the worlds which we will be able to explore:
    Pretty Cool.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

Sneak peak M50 skins:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Twitch Channel(s)

Great read. Thanks for posting it!

I myself never played wing commander or any others by Chris Roberts, as they were before my time really. But it is interesting to hear of peoples expectations of Star Citizen based on his past titles/work even if they are very old they still seem to excite people.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast