» DAoC Navigation
» DAoC Guides
» Staff Info
Today's Grab Bag is devoted entirely to questions asked as a result of Friday's Producer's Letter.
They're great questions and we're really pleased to be able to provide the answers. We have questions about the adjustments to New Frontiers, the addition of 5 new Champion Levels, improvements to the LFG window and more! Without further ado - your Grab Bag:
Q: how about sending everyone a free 15 day time code after the change give everyone a chance to experience?
A: We’d be happy to do a ‘Come Back To Camelot’ campaign around the time we release the adjustments to NF as well as the Champion Level updates! We’re excited to have the Frontier population increase so that everybody gets the chance to experience some awesome action! We’ll follow up with announcements on when it will take place, and rest assured it will be long enough for players to get their opportunity to play.
Q: Will there be new titles to go along with CL11-15?
A: Yes, a new title will be given for each Champion Level from 11 to 15.
Q: Is there an ETA on these changes?
A: Our plan is to have the changes to the Frontiers out by late August and the rest we will work with you to test and hop to release around mid-to-late October, this year.
Q: Will there be new CL15 weapons?
A: Our plan is to introduce new CL15 weapons and armor.
Q: Will CL11-15 increased HP?
A: Yes, at the same rate that CL1-10 did. However, we are currently planning for Champion Level 11-15 to effectively require the same amount of total experience needed for CL1-10. That is to say, each Champion Level from 11 – 15 will require about 50% more XP to earn. The reasoning here is to make the journey from 10 – 15 challenging. It’s also important to keep in mind that there are currently much more efficient ways to obtain CL XP quickly than there were when CLs 1-10 were introduced.
Q: What are you going to do to address the % increase from CL 15 with % based heal procs? It’s a genuine concern from a solo/smallman perspective. Could you either put a restriction on the chests so only support has access to them or change it so it’s no longer a % HoT? Maybe a large ablative or a flat heal proc?
A: There are several items and abilities that will need some re-balancing with the increase to CL15. We plan to address those as quickly as possible. This is a great opportunity to begin a discussion with us on your opinion of the strategic significance of Champion Sub-Classing abilities. There are some truly unique approaches taken by players, and we would like to make these changes meaningful and balanced.
Q: As someone below pointed out, won't putting the relics back allow people to essentially invade the portal ceremony town, or will very high level guards be posted around it preventing siege deployment etc?
A: The relic portal towns already have invulnverable guards and do not allow siege to be placed around them.
Q: New Mythirians to go with cl15? Higher cap and higher stat increase etc?
A: There are at present no plans to introduce any more mythirians, but that can change based on feedback. With the plan to introduce both CL15 weapons and armor, we are hesitant to add even more items with this update.
Other than the health increase, there are no current plans to increase caps or stats.
Quote: “Relics will return to Relic Temples and Relic Keeps will revert to standard, defensible Keeps”
Q: This seems sweet but how does it impact the portal ceremony area?
A: The relic towns are well-guarded with invulnerable guards, do not allow siege weapons to be placed in a large radius around them, and do not allow relics to be carried into their (quite large) guard aggro-range.
This should make the impact of relics in the temples fairly minimal towards the portal ceremony areas; however, we are still looking into what changes, if any, will happen to the portal ceremony, so this all may be moot if it is removed alltogether.
Quote: “Docks will return to their original locations and the capture element will be altered or removed based on additional planning and feedback.”
Q: Which original locations?
A: Docks were an ambitious experiment which, from an academic perspective seemed to ‘fit’ in the dynamic of the New Frontiers. Ultimately – for lack of a better term, they complicated things. One of our principles is that: ‘well designed features are complex, *not* complicated’ –... [Read More]
Friends and Realm Mates,
It’s been some time since we’ve reached out to you to talk about our plans and vision for Dark Age of Camelot for both near and long term.
In the time since our last communication, we’ve been hard at work putting into place the foundation for the exciting updates and improvements we plan to release for our venerable game. In recent Grab Bags, we touched on a few of these updates, but I would like to give you a solid breakdown of what we have on the burner, and touch on the priority and reasoning behind our plans. Click the ‘More’ link to read on!
1.115 saw a rather significant alteration to the layout of the New Frontiers and a change to the strategy and flow of action. Suffice it to say, some of these changes did not prove to have the desired effect, and our primary objective for near-term hotfixes and the next patch will be to implement changes and reversions to systems that, in retrospect (and after extensive player-testing), needed fine tuning rather than a complete overhaul. The community has been most helpful in working to protect the integrity of the game by pointing out these features and we want you to know we are listening.
We made a promise that we would not close the book on the NF Revamp until we achieve what we had set out to accomplish – fast, high-quality action, scalable player impact, and improvements that can be embraced and enjoyed by all play-styles. Admittedly, this is a tough nut to crack, but our experience, love, and passion for the game plus feedback from you, our devoted community makes this a reasonable and attainable goal.
New Frontiers changes with our next update include the following:
- Relics will return to Relic Temples and Relic Keeps will revert to standard, defensible Keeps
- Docks will return to their original locations and the capture element will be altered or removed based on additional planning and feedback. The increased boat speed will remain
- Shore Keeps (Erasleigh, Sursbrook, Hlidskialf, Blendrake, Bolg, daBehnn) will revert to a state where home realm players may not port to them
- The Merchant Keeps (Benowyc, Nottmoor, and Crauchon) will once again be capture-able, claim-able, and will have port functionality - but will remain in a ‘ruined’ state
- Keeps and towers have had their light-mapping updated! The difference is quite stunning and we are looking forward to showing you these great art updates!
The New Frontiers is a crucial part of our planning, but it does not represent the entirety of what we’re currently working on. We are breathing new life into PvE encounters by updating loot, modernizing encounter mechanics, and polishing art. We have talked about this for some time in our communication and we’re happy to say that we’re looking forward to releasing the updated content soon!
It would not be appropriate to focus solely on new features without first resolving bugs and other issues with game-play. There are numerous behind-the-scenes fixes and improvements to a number of technical and practical aspects of DAoC. These include fixes for some Housing issues, spell/style bugs, performance improvements, and more!
Finally, we have some exciting changes to the way you will interact with your Dark Age of Camelot Account. The new Broadsword Account Center is in testing and we will unveil it just as soon as we are confident that it is stable. It is our wish to provide a much more user-friendly experience along with more options to get back into the game such as character search and password recovery features.
The LFG window has been on our minds for quite some time. We want to do our best to facilitate the establishment of solid groups to enhance the game experience irrespective of your play session length. The LFG window updates are planned in two phases. Here are a few basic details on how we intend to accomplish this goal:
- Phase 1
- Click a button and are placed into an available group
- Group will be selected based on a combination of your class, spec, and level
- LFG mechanics will have RvR and PvE settings
- Optimized for PUGs and players with shorter play sessions
... [Read More]
- Phase 2
- Existing LFG window update
- Allow players to see a list of LFG-flagged players separated by level/spec/class (including players queued up for a group from the first phase)
We are pleased to announce that Character and Guild Search is now available!! Click on the Character and Guild Search Icon on the right-hand side of the Camelot Herald's main page to search for characters and guilds!!
At present, the search is limited to characters and guilds on Ywain, but we will be expanding the search functionality to include Archived Servers soon! We will update you when Archived Server search is available.
Additionally, we are working toward adding Top Realm Point earners, Champions of The Realm, Top Guilds, and more Leaderboard options! Keep a close eye on the Herald for updates on these new features!
Please don't hesitate to leave feedback about the feature and submit requests for additional Character and Guild Search functionality!
Have fun searching, and we'll see you in the Frontiers!
Click here to read the complete article
From the team at Broadsword, we wish you a fun and relaxing holiday weekend! Please enjoy the holiday bonuses which will be active now until Monday, July 7th!
Additionally, the Traveling Merchants will be sticking around through the holiday weekend and will pack up their wares and depart on Monday, July 7th! Information on the bonuses below!
100% bonus to normal XP gain in all classic zones and dungeons.
100% bonus to normal BP in all NF zones.
25% bonus to RP in all NF zones (including Darkness Falls and The Labyrinth)
100% bonus to normal XP gain in all classic zones and dungeons.
100% bonus to normal BP gain in the capital cities.
100% bonus to normal RP gain in the capital cities.
Click the 'More' link to see the additional bonuses!
In each Capital City:
40% Bonus to Crafting Speed
20% Bonus to Crafting Skill Gain
In all Housing Zones:
20% Bonus to Crafting Speed
10% Bonus to Crafting Skill Gain
Good Hunting this weekend, and we'll see you in the Frontiers!
Click here to read the complete article
All Live Servers will be taken offline tomorrow June 26th, 2014 at 5:45 AM EDT / 1145 AM CET for the deployment of Patch 1.115b. We anticipate the servers coming back up by 2:00PM EDT / 2000 CET.
Please review the patch notes below, as there have been some changes and additions to the Pendragon patch notes for this version.
• Agramon Towers get a new look and a new purpose! Read on to learn more!
• Move more freely throughout the Frontiers with our updates to Docks and Keeps!
• It’s now easier than ever to turn in reforming energies for your loot!
• Quest changes, bug fixes, and new items! Check out the changes below!
• Agramon Towers are now old-style NF towers in place of the Labyrinth towers.
• Players can no longer port to the Labyrinth from Agramon
• New Agramon towers are in a perpetual ruined state with opened doors. They cannot be repaired.
• New Agramon towers are tied to the outpost system and appear on the /rw Agramon map, can be claimed, captured, and upgraded. They also contribute to control of Darkness Falls.
• New Agramon towers are still only a one-way port. They can be reached by standing next to a portal stone and using the Realmwar Map's Agramon tab.
• Custom UI users will need to update the 'realmwar_agramon.xml' file in order to see the new Agramon towers on the Realmwar Map.
Keep Porting Changes
• A home realm can now port to all of its keeps as long as they own the requisite towers. This includes relic and the coastal keeps but not ruined keeps.
• Invading realms will still only be able to port to captured coastal keeps if they have the requisite towers controlled.
• Darkness Falls access is now gated by the number of both keeps and towers controlled by a realm, rather than just keeps.
• A new dock will be added on the coast in-between the ruined keeps and Portal Keeps.
o This dock will take players to the coastline near the enemy realm's Portal Keeps.
o The new Portal Keep docks will be able to be captured just like the Mainland docks.
o Captured Dock Guards will award the same RvR quest that the captured Mainland and Relic-town dock guards give
• Agramon docks have had their boat route changed to the take players further down the enemy realm's coastlines
• A new boat option has been added to the Mainland docks that will take players to the enemy realm's coasts near the Ruined Keeps. This is the same drop-off that was used by the Agramon docks
• The Relic-town docks' boat paths have been altered so that it goes straight down the river to their realm's bridgehead entrance to Agramon. This boat path will no longer swing upriver towards the Relic Keeps
• Players can once again logout in friendly keeps and towers
• Players should no longer be erroneously ported to the Relic Town when logging out in the Portal Keeps
Reforming Energy Changes
Reforming energy Item changes
• A new item has been introduced: the orb of reforming energy. This item is equivalent to 5 reforming energies for turn-in purposes.
• A new item has been introduced: the cache of reforming energy. This item is equivalent to 15 reforming energies for turn-in purposes.
• Reforming energies can now be /used when in an exact stack of 5 to create an orb of reforming energy. Players will receive a message stating that they cannot discharge the reforming energy if it is in a stack of any other quantity.
• Reforming energies can now be /used when in an exact stack of 15 to create a cache of reforming energy. Players will receive a message stating that they cannot discharge the reforming energy if it is in a stack of any other quantity.
• The orb of reforming energy can be /used when in an exact stack of 3 to create a cache of reforming energy. Players will receive a message stating that they cannot discharge the orb of reforming energy if it is in a stack of any other quantity.
o Existing reforming energy stacks will not receive these changes until they are stacked onto a newly received reforming energy.
Reforming energy turn-in changes
• The amount of reforming energies able to be turned in to the trogo zontanos mageia at once has been increased from 5 to 15. The loot selection process will work just as it did prior to th patch in that players will still be able to select any combination of encounters until they run out of submitted reforming energies.
• Players can alternatively turn-in up to 3 orbs of reforming energy or 1 cache of... [Read More]
Happy Friday and welcome to another edition of the Dark Age of Camelot Grab Bag! Sir Grabford is still in Carol's dungeon for his theft of her last Grab Bag, so he will not be availble for questions today. The good news is that your good friends on the Dark Age of Camelot Team are!
For your chance to win a 30 Day Game Time Code, please submit your Grab Bag questions to email@example.com or via PostCount using the following link: http://www.postcount.net/forum/forms.php?do=form&fid=5
Q: Things are being worked on. God bless. But is there anyway we could see what you are working on and your priority list are at todays game ?
A: On the horizon are a few initiatives which will broaden the communication between Broadsword and our players. Basic information given through, say, the Grab Bag can be informative – but it’s not always the best way to communicate our vision and progress. We are looking forward to providing video patch notes, dev diaries, and interviews/Q & A with the Dev team so that you can receive important information on a more frequent basis!
Q: Would it be possible to increase size of friend lists please? For years I've been deleting older friends if I wanted to add new ones, it's usually a tough decision. Also it would be great if one could add a short note on the big friend list window, similar to guild notes, for example to remember whose alt toon it is. Adding whole accounts could be an option too, although I like the possibility to stay kind of anonymous when playing different toons.Maybe friend lists could even be the same for all toons of one realm, so I wouldn't have to add them on each one separately.
A: One of the next significant updates we’re planning for the game is UI related. DAoC is a fantastic game, but the UI is rather dated. Some of the features we’re considering are updates to the LFG window, Quest Journal, Inventory Management (how items are moved from players’ inventory to their vaults or paper doll), Chat Windows just to name a few! We’re happy to see that you have so many friends that your list can’t contain them all and will look at increasing the size of the list so you don’t have to kick anybody off!
Q: I am just wondering whether or not the bug where pets cannot keep up with their owner or target is being looked into. Being someone who plays classes who rely on their pets, it's important for my enjoyment of the game.
A: This should be fixed with the new patch on Pendragon. Hop on over there and let us know how it is now!
Q: Some items in game when initially equipped have a 15 minute delay period before you can perform a /use. Some items have a shorter delay period when initially equipped before you can perform a /use. Other items do not have a delay at all when you equip them and perform a /use. Can you explain the logic behind why certain items are assigned to different delay periods when equipped before you can perform a /use? Are there rules/conditions that items must meet or are these different delay periods the product coding inconsistencies?
A: Many items are assigned different timers as a balancing measure. The abilities these items have vary in power and effectiveness, so their timers are determined much in the way that Realm Ability timers are decided. Some of these items require updating and cleaning up item /use timers to be more consistent and less-punitive is on our list of upcoming game improvements.
Q: When will character transfers be made available?
A: We’re currently focused on the Broadsword Account Center to improve and increase functionality so that players have a much easier experience modifying and creating Dark Age of Camelot accounts. This is a fairly intensive process with many moving parts (such as implementing a system which allows players to locate their characters on archived servers). These changes are necessary for us to pave the way for functionality such as character transfers between accounts. Based on our current schedule, we’re hoping to make character transfers available before the end of the year.
Q: What is Broadswords strategy for bringing back Guild and Realm Pride. A sense of belonging is what keeps the casual and average gamer coming back day after day.
A: In short – compelling new content. Many DAoC players fondly remember large-scale raids requiring the contribution of several classes and a unique level of strategy which made the encounters interesting and rewarding. We are in the process of updating current encounters and creating new content for everyone to enjoy. We have also established Broadsword Official Guilds which will be available... [Read More]
In celebration of Midsummer, the Kings of the Realms have sent for our friends, the Traveling Merchants!
The Merchants have set up shop in their usual areas, so be sure to pay them a visit and stock up on their wares before they take their leave a fortnight from now!
In Albion: Just outside of gates of Castle Sauvage in Camelot Hills
In Midgard: Just outside of Svasud Faste in the Vale of Mularn
In Hibernia: Just outside of Druim Ligen in Connacht
Happy Midsummer from your friends at Broadsword, and we'll see you in the Frontiers!
Click here to read the complete article
» PC DAoC Grab Bag
- September 13th, 2013
- September 27th, 2013
- October 11th, 2013
- October 25th, 2013
- November 15th, 2013
- February 14th, 2014
- February 28th, 2014
- March 21st, 2014
- April 18th, 2014
- April 25, 2014
- May 2nd, 2014
- May 16th, 2014
Submit your questions for the Grab Bag here
» Get the Game
» Recent Threads
» News Archive